cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So, what's using the network when it's not me?....

N/A

Can anyone advise me how to tell which bits of software might want to make use of my "precious" PlusNet broadband connection when I'm not using the PC? [can you tell I'm on PAYG?]

My wife noticed that "a few kilobytes" of network traffic was sent/received via the connection a good few minutes after she had logged on. After eliminating the virus scanner updates and Windows Update from our enquiries, I feel I need some sensible explanations to reduce the paranoia level. Doubtless there are numerous programs that might take it upon themselves to go surfing, so I'd be grateful if someone could tell me how to spot these.

Already checked for nasties with anti-virus and anti-spyware tools. No rogue wireless users either.

[Desktop PC running WIndows XP SP2 connected via Netgear 834G using ethernet cable]
5 REPLIES
Wheelie
Grafter

Hi valente

I would check your router log to start with and see if the router is doing a time update and also see if there are any anomalies like dos attacks etc.
Denzil
Grafter

Do you have a firewall running? If you just have the default Windows firewall I suggest you install Zonealarm (free download from www.zonelabs.com) then disable the Windows firewall. Zonealarm will give you a list of applications that try to access the internet and allow you to give or deny them permission.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Just an FYI..... a "must have" and extremely useful tool for diagnosing spurious traffic is a freeware application known as "What is Transferring"

http://www.wfshome.com/wit.htm
crimsone
Grafter

Indeed. It is not unknown for Windows itself to send information via local network addresses (like 0.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.1for example), which can sometimes be seen by firewalls.

I speak from the perspective of having seen a few computers with the internet disabled running windows throw up requests for internal traffic in Sygate.
jagger
Grafter

Any program you have installed that has "automatic updates" enabled will do it.
Firewall,anti-virus etc: that includes Windows automatic update.