cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sluggish browsing with new router

gothstevek
Dabbler

I've just bought a Netgear DG834 router in preparation for a long term plan of running Linux (Ubuntu seems to be highly recommended, but that's another thread) alongside WinXP (which is currently on my PC); the router is connected to my PC with an ethernet lead.

I'm currently using Firefox and I'm finding that scrolling down internet pages seems slightly sluggish (previously I was using a Conexant PCI modem), in short it seems like each line needs to catch up with itself... it's making me feel slightly dizzy when browsing!

Any suggestions to smooth my browsing experience would be greatly received.

Thanks
Steve
5 REPLIES
N/A

have you updated firefox? 1.0.5 is latest?
gothstevek
Dabbler

have you updated firefox? 1.0.5 is latest?

I'm fully updated with Firefox (in fact 1.0.6 is the latest release). Wink I might give the firmware update a go tonight and see if that makes any difference.
holdtight
Grafter

Im running V 1.0.6 and not having any probs in case you thought it may be a buggy version

download and try firetune i didnt notice much difference on my system but have read many that have seen a huge increase in loading and browsing times

updating to the latest firmware for the netgear is a good idea research it first to see if there are any issues with it if its a very late revision and also research the version your running now you might find many others having similar problems
N/A

Is smoothscrolling on? Options/Advanced/browsing i think. Failing that try doing a full on clean installation of Firefox, by wiping out your profile, I have seen dodgy profiles cause all sorts of grief. Theres a guide to this on the MozillaZine forums here
gothstevek
Dabbler

Is smoothscrolling on?

You learn something new every day! I'd completely missed that option! Shockedops:

Thanks, that's made a bit of difference. Smiley