cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow application launches

N/A

For some reason, when I connect to the internet, and then double click on my desktop applications, they can take upto 10secs to kick in and load! If I drop the connection, they generally go back to normal loading times of instant.

This has only been apparent for a day or two.
I've run virus killers and bot checkers etc, and dont know whats causing it. Nothing seems to be amis in the taskmanager.

Running XP Home SP2 with a USB Plusnet supplied modem.

Any suggestions as to what might be happening and how to fix it.
Many thanks

Jules
5 REPLIES
N/A

What does the performance window on the Task Manger show? And are there any processes that are using loads of CPU once you've connected?

CNRL+ALT+DEL - Peformance Tab and Processes Tab

Cheers
Zen
N/A

The performance window shows 100% cpu usage with explorer yaking up anything from 30-80% and an svchost NETWORK SERVICE eating up all remaining cpu cycles.

This only happens for my account, the wife can log in and all is fine.

Could it be a virus? I've run a blaster check but it found nothing.

Regards

Jules
N/A

Don't think it's a virus or spyware.

Any new drivers or changes that you have made that aren't the same on your wifes profile?

I've also found this comment

I had a similar problem of svchost taking up all my resources... found out that the svchost's network service is the culprit. and when fiddling with the services, zeroed down of the DNS client service... hope tht helps. try stopping the DNS client service if the problem occurs immediately after connecting to the net, and lasts for as long as 10-15 minutes.

I think it's one of these problems that will take some trial and error to solve, or if all else fails restore your PC to a time when you didn't have the problem.

Cheers
Zen
N/A

What anti-spyware programs have you run? I don't know if this is a spyware/ trojan/virus problem but it could be.

Have you tried using an alternative browser? like firefox, opera etc.? Does the same think happen?

Aaron
N/A

One thing I have done is simply create another user account for myself and transfer things like my desktop and bingo no more problems.

Well its at least a workaround while I play around with the original account to find out what is wromg.