cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Startup with X/P

N/A

Slow Startup with X/P

MY computer takes about to 2 mins to completely startup. I know it is my Anti-Virus software, Kaspersky causing this. I could use another I suppose, however I installed one of the freebies, and the same thing happened.

Any ideas on were I could start looking please :?:
10 REPLIES
N/A

Slow Startup with X/P

1st of 2 mins isnt that slow Smiley but there is a tool from microsoft which shows what is loaded druing boot bootvis i think is its name... also get a registery cleaner to remove all the junk that has built up over the time ur XP has been installed, run adware removers to get rid of that aspect.

next

check msconfig and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

to see what is being loaded at start up (yes i kniow these are not the only ones but they are the most common..

how long have you had XP installed for? after about 6months it just starts to die Smiley so if its longer than that i would recomend a new install of the OS (no need to format)
N/A

Thanks

Hi,

My X/P is older than six months, however I do regulary run a registry cleaner, I think I will opt for a fresh install though. Now the football has finished I needed something to do one night anyway Cheesy
N/A

Slow Startup with X/P

always good Smiley

good luck Smiley
Community Veteran

Slow Startup with X/P

But not always necessary. A reinstall should really be your last resort, not your first.

There can be many reasons for slow startup, often due to software you have loaded which adds something to the startup folders or registry but when you remove the software it does not always tidy up properly. Virus infections and other apps can add themselves to the startup, it can also load lots of DLLs which may not be needed initially.

There are several startup list viewers available that will show you what actually gets loaded at start-up and will give you the chance to delete those you don't want. See General: Essential Security software.
N/A

Slow Startup with X/P

well as a rule i reinstall xp every 6months or so cos it just gets so bogged down.. but hey i have a ghost image that i just install Cheesy then leave for a few hours to get all the latest updates and then update teh ghost image. so its no real problem for me

Buz
N/A

Slow Startup with X/P

install linux, wont need to reboot then :lol:
N/A

Slow Startup with X/P

very true ^_^ suse or gentoo if you want a windows feel stright out of the box working distro
N/A

Slow Startup with X/P

emerge all the way for me Wink
stonechat
Grafter

Slow Startup with X/P

The best suggestion is to use msconfig, and modify the startup items. Nearly always end up with more than you want, can greatly reduce start up sometimes
Bob
N/A

Slow Startup with X/P

Also go to www.blackviper.com and look at the XP service guide.