Did you mean: 

Slow LAN transfer

N/A

Slow LAN transfer

Hardware in use

Gigabit 5 port linksys switch
1x Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection
1x100mbit NIC (on other computer)

now, file transfers never EVER seem to go above 1.4mb/s, both computers have raptors in so it is not the hard drives,

i have tried

SMB shares
BulletproofFTPd
GuildFTPd
RaidenFTPd

all give the same result.

Any one know what this could be? seeing as the max should be about 9.Xmb/s
8 REPLIES
MarkAngel
Grafter

Slow LAN transfer

What are you copying? if its lots of little files you wont get anywhere near top speed, if the files are a couple of hundred megs or so you should see 8.x Mbps. You should check that your network connections are actually running at 100Mbps, (are the cables up to the task?). I have a similar setup and get 8.x from PC to PC over 100Mb and 38.XMbps over 1000Mbp links.

M
N/A

Slow LAN transfer

Turn off anti virus on both pc and watch the files fly. If you have real time scanning enabled and if the files are .zip .rar etc the AV with open the files scan them and they let them go at the other end the AV will open them scan them then write to disk.

AV can bring some system to a halt, Iwas called out to a company running sage which was stopping dead and it was just the av scanning that was the problem.

If you are using XP have you applied the QOS hack as XP keeps 20% of network band width to its self which doesnt help
N/A

Slow LAN transfer

No AV // Firewall running on the tests
200meg -> 1gig file transfers (single files)

Cables are fine
No Auto negociate (both set to 100mbit full duplex)

Whats this QoS hack? Enlighten me !! Cheesy CheesyCheesy

I have applied the TCP hack just because I like a full TCP stack, but that should not have any adverse effects on the speed.

Thanks for the help you guys Wink its really annoying, as I have a gigabit switch, and will be more than unhappy if I get a gigabit NIC for the other PCs and only see 1.4mb/s over the LAN.. not fun when transfering Large files.
MarkAngel
Grafter

Slow LAN transfer

What you could try (to narrow down where the problem is), is link the two PC's via a crossover cable. Manually set the IP's ob both machines and copy some files that way. That will tell you if the PC's are at fault or the Switch.

Mark
N/A

Slow LAN transfer

DHCP is never used here, as it sucks, but i guess i could try to use a corss over cable...*goes to find one*
N/A

Slow LAN transfer

The QOS Hack is

this ones simple:
this is for broad band connections. I didn’t try it on dial up but might work for dial up.
1.make sure your logged on as actually "Administrator". do not log on with any account that just has administrator privileges.
2. start - run - type gpedit.msc
3. expand the "local computer policy" branch
4. expand the "administrative templates" branch
5. expand the "network branch"
6. Highlight the "QoS Packet Scheduler" in left window
7. in right window double click the "limit reservable bandwidth" setting
8. on setting tab check the "enabled" item
9. where it says "Bandwidth limit %" change it to read 0
reboot if you want to but not necessary on some systems your all done. Effect is immediate on some systems. some need re-boot. I have one machine that needs to reboot first, the others didn't. Don't know why this is.

This is more of a "counter what XP does" thing. In other words, XP seems to want to reserve 20% of the bandwidth for its self. Even with QoS disabled, even when this item is disabled. So why not use it to your advantage. To demonstrate the problem with this on stand alone machines start up a big download from a server with an FTP client. Try to find a server that doesn't max out your bandwidth. In this case you want a slow to medium speed server to demonstrate this. Let it run for a couple of minutes to get stable. The start up another download from the same server with another instance of your FTP client. You will notice that the available bandwidth is now being fought over and one of the clients download will be very slow or both will slow down when they should both be using the available bandwidth. Using this "tweak" both clients will have a fair share of the bandwidth and will not fight over the bandwidth.

This should speed up broadband as well.

The file transfer will be affected by how you connect to the other pc as well.
You can connect by mapping a drive and then coping c: to mapped drive
You can connect and copy to a share
You can copy in windows or you can copy using DOS(cmd window)
You can use FTP to copy files

As I recall the quickist is the DOS option using a mapped drive ie xcopy *.* f:\
Some of the other options use network overheads. One of the best ways is to use Robocopy its free and very fast
N/A

Slow LAN transfer

xcopy is indeed a very useful tool when it comes to copying.
Have a read of this and be prepared to have a couple of goes to get used to it.
If you use it frequently, and always copy things from one directory to another, you can write the text into a simple batch file, and run it whenever you need.
N/A

Slow LAN transfer

didnt help :S