cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slooooow Win XP Home

TOTKO
Grafter

Slooooow Win XP Home

My PC has suddenly slowed down - or rather built in an 8 minute delay - since around last Friday.

The PC boots up fine but it takes the first program I try to run around 8 minutes before it appears - the hour glass shows for a couple of seconds when I click the icon but then nothing until the program opens. If I try and run several programs - in frustration - they all apear at the same time after the initial delay!

My virus and internet programs are up to date. I run Adaware every boot up and SpyBot has been executed. None find any problems.

A day previously I installed a new (old) game - and I wonder if this has some responsibility? However - I have had this problem before and couldn't identify the culprit, I had to repair my WIndows installation.

Any help would be gratefully received.
9 REPLIES
N/A

Slooooow Win XP Home

Maybe lack of ram. Or a hidden virus
TOTKO
Grafter

Slooooow Win XP Home

I have 512 Meg of ram - and the machine has been running fine - so I can't see that being the problem.

The game I installed is 'old' therefore should not be that resource hungry.

If it is a hidden virus; what can I do about it?
Community Veteran

Slooooow Win XP Home

Have you tried using "System Restore" ? and setting the machine back to the day before you installed the game.
TOTKO
Grafter

Slooooow Win XP Home

For some reason there is no Restore Point for this install - in fact none before yesterday.

Even though it is switched on for all drives.
N/A

Slooooow Win XP Home

It sounds like it could be a hidden virus. A friend of my son had a similar problem recently, he had been infected by a virus, which he managed to remove(apparently) but the computer ran very slow, the only option we found was to do a complete format of the HDD and re-install windows XP, all worked fine after that
Community Veteran

Slooooow Win XP Home

Run a full virus, trojan and spyware scan - online and downloadable versions can be found in General: Essential Security software.

Also check what runs at startup with hijackThis or one of the other tools listed in the above tutorial.

Moderators note (John) hujackthis changed to hijackThis as shown in the tutorial
TOTKO
Grafter

Slooooow Win XP Home

Thanks Peter,

But ....

Norton 2003 is totally up to date and I ran a full scan yesterday.

Adaware ran this morning and I ran SpyBot yesterday evening.
Community Veteran

Slooooow Win XP Home

Always best to try another virus scanner when strange things are happening - i.e. get a second opinion as no virus scanner is 100% capable of catching all viruses.

Check what you have running in the background - and see what CPU time they are using.

See what actually gets run at startup with the tool I listed (or the others in the tutorial)
TOTKO
Grafter

Slooooow Win XP Home

Peter,

What can I say!!

hijackThis found a program that was looking to update the install on a piece of software - I also installed that (from a magazine DVD) on the same day.

I deleted that - rebooted my machine and everything seems to be working well.

Once again you appear to have hit the mark!

Thanks

Tony