cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shating the net between two computers

N/A

Hi, first of all, I hardly know anything about networking and so I need help Smiley

I have 2 laptops and I want to share the internet between the two laptops.

So far I know I need a route, but which one?

I'm on 8MB service with PlusNet, I have Binatone modem.

Where do I go from here? What router do I buy? And if I have static IP would this couse any problems? And is it hard to set up this network? Also, how would it affect my speed if the other laptop is connected to the internet, I game a lot and would like to keep a nice low ping Smiley

Thanks for all the help, and please keep it simple because anything too complicated I will not undersand as I don't know much about this stuff Smiley

Many thanks!
27 REPLIES
RobDickson
Grafter

N/A

This was helpful Smiley

But I need some suggestions on the router now, which one to get, what brand Smiley
N/A

The Netgear DG834G seems to be the router most recommended on these forums. It is easy to set up and works very well.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_adslrouter_dg834g.php
N/A

But that one is wireless and I want wired, don't trust wireless Smiley
N/A

The Netgear DG834G allows up to 4 computers to connect via ethernet cable and you can switch off the wireless part of the router. Alternatively, the Netgear DG834 is the same Router but without wireless.
N/A

Sorry but the Ethernet part is getting too complicated for me now Sad

As I have read on this page as well:

Broadband routers
If you have a broadband modem that connects to an Ethernet port on your PC (for example a cable modem), then the same modem can be connected directly into the Ethernet port of a broadband modem.

I don't know if I have ethernet on my PC or Modem :?:

Can't I just buy lets say, DG834, and use it with my current modem that I have?
oliverb
Grafter

If you want to share an ADSL broadband connection then you will find a combined modem-router much easier than trying to find a separate modem and router that will work together. Just keep the modem as a spare for diagnostics.

Also almost all wireless routers also have four ethernet ports. These can even be split further using a "switch".

As far as I know all home routers on sale now will automatically configure ethernet. You just connect a cable from the computer to the router and it does the rest.
Denzil
Grafter

Any computer bought in the last couple of years will probably have an ethernet port built in. On the back of your computer you should see a square port labelled 10/100 or with a symbol of three computers connected by lines.

Connecting them will probably be much easier than you think. as Coaxial said if you get a DG834 it will have four ports. All you need to do on each computer is plug one end of a network cable into the computer and the other end into any port on the router.

You then just run the network setup wizard in Windows, click on a few simple choices and away you go.

In some cases it can be more complicated, but hey, you have only to ask here and someone will know the answer Cool
N/A

I see I have two phone-like ports, there's a symbol with three windows and lines... in a triangle shape so I'm guessing that's the one then lol

so I just need to get the DG834 router and just follow the instructions? I already have cables too so I'm all set then? Smiley
RobDickson
Grafter

Properly set-up, there should be no problem with wireless networks, but I understand your concerns.

http://www.robdickson.co.uk/PC_Advice/Networking/securing_wireless_networks.php

If you choose to use a wired connection, then it's about as easy as plugging it in, and then telling the router your xDSL username and password.
N/A

Steve gibson of www.grc.com fame (the dude who coined the phrase "spyware") has a series of podcasts that deal with security. A few are dedicated to securing your wireless network, really quite helpfull.

The ones that are relevant are

Open Wireless Access Points
Leo and I examine the security and privacy considerations of using non-encrypted (i.e. 'Open') wireless access points at home and in public locations. We discuss the various ways of protecting privacy when untrusted strangers can 'sniff' the data traffic flowing to and from your online PC.
http://media.grc.com/sn/SN-010.mp3

Bad WiFi Security (WEP and MAC address filtering)
Leo and I answer some questions arising from last week's episode, then plow into a detailed discussion of the lack of security value of MAC address filtering, the futility of disabling SSID's for security, and the extremely poor security offered by the first-generation WEP encryption system.
http://media.grc.com/sn/SN-011.mp3

Unbreakable WiFi Security
Leo and I follow-up on last week's discussion of the Sony Rootkit debacle with the distressing news of "phoning home" (spyware) behavior from the Sony DRM software, and the rootkit's exploitation by a new malicious backdoor Trojan. We then return to complete our discussion of WiFi security, demystifying the many confusing flavors of WPA encryption and presenting several critical MUST DO tips for WPA users.
http://media.grc.com/sn/SN-013.mp3

Public Key Cryptography
Having discussed symmetric (private) key ciphers during the last two weeks, this week Leo and I examine asymmetric key cryptography, commonly known as "Public Key Cryptography". We begin by examining the first public key cryptosystem, known as the Diffie-Hellman Key Exchange, invented in 1976. Then we describe the operation of general purpose public key cryptosystems such as the one invented by RSA.
http://media.grc.com/sn/SN-034.mp3

There's about 50 others relating to security in general, but the wireless ones are really good for a getting an idea of the things you need to do to become secure.

http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm

Hope this helps.
N/A

Thank you for your help everyone I'm now sharing the internet between two machines, I have Netgear DC834 router.

I have a few problems thought,

Ok I just have bought myself a Netgear DG834 ADSL Router.

Set up was easy and I've got both machines connected to the internet. But I have a few problems.

I can not download files on my 2nd laptop. Lets say, I wanted to download MSN Live, and I couldn't. The file downloads in less than a second, no matter what size it is, and I can't run it because it's corrupt/incomplete. Any idea how to fix this problem?

Thank you Smiley
Community Veteran

Does your DG834 have the trend micro security stuff on it? and if so is it enabled?

If it is disable it and that should fix your problem (I had the same problem with a DG834G and that fixed it)
N/A

Yes it does,

but I dissable it, I will have no protection? Etc...

EDIT: also,

How do I make this network secure? Do I need to change any settings?

In my Admins settings, under Security Service, Client Virus Protection Status Provides information on all computers on the network.

I see 3 IPs:

1. 192.168.0.249
2. 192.168.0.3
3. 192.168.0.2

But I only have two laptops connected to my router, and I'm guessing the 2nd and 3rd are my laptops, what's the first one then? Is it the router itself?

Thank you icon_smile.gif