cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing resources between home computer and office portable

N/A

I have 2 computers-desktop permanently at home -no network.Portable used at home and in my my office attached to a domain, and I am a domain administrator.

I can connect from home via my portable to a server in my office-via ras using lan on router.

Both computers use windows xp professionsl operating systems -ntfs files.

I use a router to connect both computers to internet at home. ( origo 8400-which works well)

I want to share printers at home and be able to transfer files from one computer to another. I have tried everything and failed. The problem appears to be because portable is connected to domain and desktop is not! I solve the problem by an arduos route sending files with attachments via email to transfer between 2 computers sitting next to each other. This seems an arduos and longwinded way of doing things.

I do not want to mess up any settings on my portable as it is used daily in my office and works well.In the office environment it is part of a much larger network. Nor do I want to change anything on the server in my office. IT professionals ,who are all powerful ogres there are responsible for network and I do not want to upset them!

Can someone please help!
16 REPLIES
N/A

on both your laptop and your desktop right click on "my Computer"
properties->Computer Name.

you should see "workgroup: NAME HERE"

these have to be the same

also, drop to command (start -> run -> "cmd")

and do

ipconfig /all

the IPs have to be in the same class ie X.X.X.Y
where Y is the only different number
the subnet should be the same A.A.A.A on both
the gateway should be the same B.B.B.B on both
the dns servers should be teh same on both

now if thats all correct, make sure you are not running the MS firewall (network conections -> does you icon have a padlock? (if yes turn it off)

are you running any other firewalls?

reboot both computers

now...

if you have done it right, in cmd you should do

net view

and get a list of both computers,

now in the run bar of your desktop do

//laptopsname/c$
or
//laptopsip/c$

this should take you to a login screen asking for use / pass (use the admin ones)

do the oposite from laptop -> desktop

hope that helps

Buz
N/A

Thanks Buz]
However the problem starts at line 1.

The desktop can have workgroups,but the portable only a choice of domains.

How do I get round that problem?

It really is annoying me

Alfred
N/A

The desktop can have workgroups,but the portable only a choice of domains.

I have exactly the same problem - the laptop is configured by work admin who won't grant me the necessary privileges to change the network config. The only solution that I have read, so far, is to change the home machine to a workgroup that has the same name as the work domain on the laptop, and create a user on the home machine with the same username and password as the work laptop. Haven't had time to try this yet, though.
N/A

(BTW, my quick workaround has been to install WarFTPd on my home machine and ftp stuff between that and the laptop).
N/A

guildftpd >warftpd
N/A

I have the same scenerio/problem. I do not want to share files though, just share the printer. I am current using a Pen Drive to share the files for printing. The most elegant solution that I can think of ( without upsetting the security of my work latop) is getting a router with built in Print Server, I did such a router, but at £80+ I decided to stay with the Pen Drive.

Jeff
N/A

What arewartftp and guildftp?

the pendrive may be auseful compromise.

Even if workgroup and domain names are the same the 2 computers cannot see each other or share drives

Thanks for your help and comments

Alfred
N/A

What arewartftp and guildftp?

They're FTP servers, so that you can FTP from one machine to the other to transfer files over your local network. Extremely quick way of doing, once you've set up the server (which isn't particularly hard - if you need help doing this let me know). USB Flash drive method is also a good workaround, though much much lower bandwidth!

Even if workgroup and domain names are the same the 2 computers cannot see each other or share drives

Yeah, same for me. IF I try to "force" a connection (using the net use command) I get an error message: "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request". Having read around the topic on usenet, it seems a fairly intractable problem, unfortunately. Short of setting up a 3rd machine with SAMBA, I can't really see my way around this at the moment.
N/A

Thanks for the info.

I have tried to configure guild server on my home desktop computer and an ftp program on portable. I believe I have got those nearly correct.

How do I now transfer files from client( portable) to server?

I have tried server address (from ip shown on guild software) both 0 +1 - neither appear to work. Port21 seems to be on both setups!

What am I doing wrong ? How do I connect? and upload files?

I should be most grateful for your help

Thanks

Alfred
N/A

How do I now transfer files from client( portable) to server?

You need to give some more details about your setup...

* Is the ftp server setup on an internal network (i.e. does it have a local ip of the type 192.168.0.x)? You can find out the ip address of the server by opening a command prompt and typing
    ipconfig /all
    . Look for the IP address line (and, if you have more than one ethernet adapter, make sure you know which one is connected to the internal network).
    * Is the ftp server setup on the default port?
    * What error message (if any) do you get when you try to ftp from a client machine?
    * What error message (if any) do you get from guildftpd when a client tries to connect?
    * Is there a firewall set up on either of the two machines?
    * Can the client machine ping the server?
    * Can you ftp from the server to the server (i.e. ftp localhost)?
N/A

There should be no problems just sharing files. Start at the begining. On the laptop type ipconfig /all you will then get an ip and subnet and maybe a default gateway. Say we get ip of 194.119.131.66 subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway of 194.119.131.65

Set you home network up to match it ie set your pc to have a ip next to the works one like 194.119.131.67 subnet 255.255.255.0 with the gateway of 194.119.131.65.

Before you set the pc's change the router to have an ip that you have as a gateway. Having then set all the pc they should all be able to see each ok . if not make sure you have file and print serving installed on the nework.

In windows explorer choose tools /folder options /view and at the bottom untick simple file sharing.

you should have 2 pc's and a laptop all with ip next to each other and you should be able to ping each other.
do a ipconfig/all to make sure they are all ok

share a folder on each pc. create a admin account on all the pc's with the same name and password(you can do it without this but its more complicated this way is easy)

reboot all pcs and login with the same username and password and it should all work fine. If the laptop is set to dhcp leave it like that and setup dhcp on your router in the same range.

If it doesnt work post a ipconfig /all for all the pc's
N/A

Unless Levy1 has some wacko lan setup, all his computers will be DHCPing from the router, so will have adjacent IP addresses, or at least will all be on the same subnet, in all likelihood 192.168.0.x.

That's certainly the case for my home network, anyway. I don't think it's a network issue, it's a Microsoft file sharing issue.

In both our cases, the laptops are set up by work admin people who define very strict rules about what the laptops can and can't see over networks. In my case, my laptop is set up so that it *will not* access any folder that is not in the same domain (even though it's on the same network) using Microsoft file sharing. It will happily ping other machines on my home network, incidentally, and they can happily ping it back.
N/A

I think I have solved problem by using PCAnywhere by TP/IP.

I can now transfer files either way and print using desktop

I tried following all suggestions and ipconfig/all etc, and gateway was same and ip addresses in 10.0.0.? series -gatewat 255.0,.0,0. However much I tried,I could not create asdditional user on domain ( or elsewhere ) for portable!

I therefore cannot share printer!

Thanks everyone for your advice
N/A

When you logon you have a drop down list to select a domain or the local pc. If you have admin rights on the pc you can log onto the local pc and create acounts and share the printer.

If you dont have admin rights on the local pc that would be the problem. If you are logining onto a domain with a cached logon you will still get group policies set if its a AD domain.