Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing operating system folders over a LAN

shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have a problem which is driving me crazy. I have a desktop and a laptop, both running Windows XP. The desktop has been updated to SP2; the laptop is new and came with SP2.

I have wirless LAN connecting the two. I have enable file sharing.

Both machines can see one another and I can copy to and from both machines in both ways, with one exception. I can copy and save to the desktop machine from the laptop at all times, but I cannot read or open the laptop Windows, Documents and Settings and Program Files folders from the desktop - I keep being told that I do not have permission ! This is inconsistent as both machines have identical settings - I have checked and re-checked. The problem occurs only with the Program Files, Documents and Settings and Windows folders using the desktop to look at the laptop, but there is no similar restriction looking at those same desktop folders from the laptop. What have I overlooked ? There must be something silly. I have disabled the firewalls but it makes no difference.

Furthermore, it takes an age finding one machine from the other. On the other hand, I have an old Windows 98 machine which has none of these problems and finds both the laptop and the desktop instantaneously. Any ideas what can be done to improve it ? I use IPX/SPX/Netbios on all three as well as TCP/IP.
13 REPLIES
MysteryFCM
Grafter

First, ensure "Use Simple File Sharing" is disabled (Tools > Folder Options > View)

Second, can you access the machines PF/Win dir's when doing;

Start > Run;

\\<machine>\[drive]$\Program Files\

If not, have you checked the permissions for the directories to ensure your systems have permission to access each others "system" folders? (these folders are hidden in explorer by default, until you tell the system otherwise).
shermans
Rising Star

Thanks for replying

1. Interesting about disabling simple file sharing. The answer is that I tried to do that before, but on neither computer is that tick box listed, which I found to be rather strange ! I have looked very carefully at Tools>Folder Options>View, and there is no tick box for that on either computer. I have checked again since you mentioned it, and it is not available.
2.I have tried to connect with \\192.168.1.65\c$\program files but no luck on either computer. If I leave off the \c$\program files part, then I can access all the other pc's partitions.
3.In Tools>Folder Options>View, I always have the "hide system files" box unticked, which is what I assume you mean by explorer hiding them. If I then right click the Windows and Program Files folders, and select "Sharing", the box "Share this folder on the network" is visible but cannot be ticked because it is unaccessible. I do not understand that, because I have permitted sharing for the whole of the C: drive, but I suspect the clue lies there somewhere. No doubt if I could tick that box, all would be revealed. So how do I make that box come live ?

Your help is most appreciated.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

What permissions do you have on the folders in question? (assuming it's an NTFS partition?).
shermans
Rising Star

If you would keep your head still for one moment, I could tell you !!!!!

Yes, it is NTFS. And the permissions on the C; drive on both computers are Share this folder on the network and Allow network users to change my files. Also Windows firewall is configured to allow this folder to be shared by other computers on the network.

Is that what you meant by permissions ?
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Thats what I meant yes Wink

However, I was referring specifically to the permissions for the problematic folders (if they are set to inherit, they should have the same permissions as all of the other folders, if not, you'll need to reset the permissions to allow them).
shermans
Rising Star

I am not sure what you mean by "inherit".

If I right click the Windows and Program Files folders, and select "Sharing", the box "Share this folder on the network" is visible but cannot be ticked because it is unaccessible. I do not understand that, because I have permitted sharing for the whole of the C: drive.

However............if I click on "Learn more about sharing and security", it takes me to the MS Help and Support Centre, where the last bullet reads "The sharing option is not available for the Documents and Settings, Program Files, and Windows system folders. !"

This is very odd, because sharing is available for the Windows XP computer where SP1 and SP2 were not packaged but the SP1 and SP2 updates had to be downloaded. But the computer with Windows XP with SP2 already incorporated will not allow the sharing of those folders ! It would appear that there is a difference between the two, even though they are ostensibly version 5.1.

The real reason why I want access to these folders is because I have been in the habit of transferring files within a network simply by dropping them onto the Desktop of each machine. The Desktop folder is of course within Documents and Settings and therefore it cannot now be shared.

Any suggestions ?
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Right click each folder and select the Security tab.

Once in there, click the Advanced tab, and tick the "inherit" check box, then click Apply > OK

shermans
Rising Star

Could this be a difference between XP Home and XP Professional ? I have no Security tab, only Sharing and Security. When I click on Sharing and Security, there is no Advanced tab either ! So are you using Professional by any chance ?

However........your path has lead me to discover that if I right click on Documents and Settings, All Users and Desktop, the Sharing tick box is suddenly available, but Program Files and Windows will still not allow sharing. However, at least I can now get to the Desktop which is the most important.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

I am yes, however, you can get the tab in XP Home aswell by installing a patch;

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_home_sectab.htm
N/A

First get rid of the ipx rubbish all you need is tcip.

Second make sure you have a username and password on both pcs which is an admin and are the same. Login to both pcs with the same username and password and try again. This normally fixes it.
shermans
Rising Star

Hi MWRIGHT

I am so glad you said that. I installed IPX because I was recommended to do so for security reasons in preference to TCP/IP. I was reluctant but in fact have used it for the last six months to connect between my old W98 laptop and my XP desktop, and so adopted the same protocol for my new laptop.

In view of what you say, I will ditch the IPX and just use TCP/IP ! I was always a little suspicious.

TVM
shermans
Rising Star

you can get the tab in XP Home aswell by installing a patch
I have successfully downloaded and installed the patch on one machine - the older one - and the inherit tab was already ticked which is what i expected, as the folders on that machine were accessible from the other. Now I have summoned up the courage to attack the other one - but tomorrow morning because the missus will give me hell if I don't stop now !

Thanks a bunch for all your help and fingers crossed.
shermans
Rising Star

mysteryfcm and mwright

Thanks very much to both of you. I now have full access to all Windows, Program Files, and Documents and Settings on both C: drives without restriction. The security tab inherit box works a treat on both computers.

And having deleted IPX, the LAN connection is instant; I could not ask for more. There's nothing wrong with TCP/IP at all, so why was I advised to change it for IPX ?

Furthermore, even my Skype video call system is working afer Skype issued an alpha pre-beta-release update to test the Skype 2.5 video bug mods. So it has been my lucky day.

The only thing that is not working properly is the wife - SHE did not boot up properly this morning ! I was the one that got booted for staying up late trying to fix the LAN problems !

Thnaks or even thanks again.

Nick