cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing modem internet connection

N/A

Im trying to set up a network.

I have a a pc which at present has modem connected to it for internet connectivity not router.

So a network cable goes from modem to PC and it gives the PC a external IP Address

So i want to connect another Pc to the network cos i want it to use that internet connection. SO i got a hub...from the modem i connected it to the hub n from each of the Pc got a network cable n connected it to the hub. The main Pc still has internet connection. The other PC getting a 169 ip address.

Im trying to do this for my cousin and not sure what action to take next...

Please Advise

Cheers
6 REPLIES
N/A

Hello,

It sounds as though you are using a modem other than that supplied by PN. Be this a D-Link, netgear or other.
The problem being is that a modem can only offer an internet connection for 1 device (in your case the main pc) The modem simply forwards the internet connection to your machine and lets your machine do the dailing (connecting to the net).
Your theory is correct in what you are trying to achieve however a slightly different approach can be used.
You can

A) Use a Modem/Router, such as the D-Link DSL-G604T

OR

B) you can use a proxy on your main machine.

The last of the two options would mean that each additional system would connect to the internet via the main system. This as a consequence would mean that the main system would need to be online in order for the others to use the net.

IMO I would advise you to go with optionA as it is not only easier but requires less configuration and messing around.

Regards,
N/A

Cheers for the advice..i am actaly networking this for someone and are on NTL so the modem was given to them by NTL

They dont want to buy new router...so is thier no other way round this than just getting a new router.
N/A

As previously mentioned, you can just link the other pc's together, and use internet sharing to give the others internet access.

If one of them is running XP, run the network wizard and it will configure everything for you. It can also provide a disk for non XP machines to configure them as well.
N/A

Oh i forgot to mention the main pc has only one network card interfcae and i cant add another one as if i do it will void the gurantee.
N/A

Hi sundeepvarsani,

I have sent you a PM regarding this. As I said in the PM the use of a single NIC (Network Interface Card) should not pose a problem as each additional system would be connecting via the primary system.
I have enclosed my email address should you need further assistance.

Regards,
N/A

Hi

I havnt recived no PM from you :?