cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing drives under Windows XP Pro

PLC
Grafter

This is driving me nuts! Having got my wireless network operating OK I would like to be able to share some of the drives on my desktop so I can access then from my laptop. Easy I thought. Just go to my computer and say I wish to share say drive E. Having set the share the upturned hand appears sometimes but not always. The shared drived cannot be seen from the laptop. The help files don't offer any solution. Any pointers (no pun intended!) please?
7 REPLIES
N/A

Have you got "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" enabled in the Network Connection you are using.
N/A

And rebooted both machines.
PLC
Grafter

Reply and thanks.

Yes & yes.
N/A

Need to add the laptop to a "trusted" list on a firewall on the desktop?
PLC
Grafter

Reply.

Already done.
N/A

In explorer choose tools\folder options\view and at the bottom there is one use simple file sharing untick this. Do that on both pc's the try start\run\cmd
then type net use p: \\computername\c$ you should then have their drive c: mapped as drive p you can change the p: to what ever drive you want it mapped as.

You can asses any drive using the $ ie c$ d$ e$ this is a hidden share and safer than sharing a drive the normaly way. As its a admin share it may ask for a password. or you can pass the password by typing it as

net use p: \\computername\c$ password /user:username.

To make it all work easy you must have an account on both pc's using the same username and password and both as admin members. When you try to connect it ask you pc who are you and it replies with your current logged in name if that account doesnt exist on the other pc it wont let you in.

If you share a folder the above commands will work just use the sharename instead of the c$
PLC
Grafter

Thanks.

Sorted Many thanks.