cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settings On New PC Monitor ?

joecool
Grafter

Hi .......Just bought a new 17 " TFT LCD Monitor max resolution 1280 X 1024 of which it is set.......the websites don't fill the screen either to the left or in the middle ? .............have been custosmizing desktop changing sizes etc some forum sites do fill the screen?

Thought best for this resolution to obtain best image quality !

Previous Monitor just had Res at 800 x 600, should I just put it back to that ?

Appreciate any help ..........is there a way of keeping the size of text on sites also..... without having to go into view/ increase each time ?

Thx
20 REPLIES
N/A

just make the browser window bigger? or do you mean ur actual screen display has black boarders around it on the side? (if the latter.. reduce refresh rate and see if that helps) if the first just make the window full size and use firefox to keep text the same size and if u have a scroll wheal hold ctrl and scroll in ne browser and it will make the text larger / smaller... but it should then save after u close that window (if no ohter window is open)

buz
N/A

First you need to setup windows, to match the max resolution and refresh rate of your TFT Monitor.

Second most TFT monitors have a auto resize button, give it a push, it'll automatically adjust to your screen.

Finally some websites are set to open the browser page at an optiman or set size. I doubt you noticed it before as your resolution was much lower.

Does windows correctly fill the screen ?
joecool
Grafter

Hi ..........yes windows fits OK in screen.............so its best at max resolution ?

So if I adjust certain settings in 'customize desktop' for different resolution settings ? Is this correct way ?

Because when I change different resolutions , I need to change everything ? icon size , menu etc ? Is this normal ? Can they not adjust automatically ?

Yes there is an auto image adjustment, doesn't make much difference to the websites ?

How do I setup windows to match refresh rate ?

Sorry for all ??

Thx
N/A

To set the refresh rate, go into the display setting within control panel. Click settings, the last tab. You should have an option for advanced at the bottom. Select this, and look for a tab with monitor. If you select this tab, it should have a refresh rate displayed at the bottom, make sure this matches your max screen resolution.

Another thing worth switching on is clear type fonts, these were designed with flat screen monitors in mind and will improve the display on text on your screen. Follow this link, Setup Clear Type Fonts

When you change the resoluton, windows will automatically update and re-size everything but obviously you may want to increase the size of text and icons for readability.

Does this help?

Aaron
joecool
Grafter

Thx V.much..........But I don't have 'refresh rate displayed at the bottom' ..........Using Win ME ! at moment........

After changing resolution & any other changes as text icons etc...........its just the websites don't seem to fill the screen..............the odd forum will ?

Thx for trying, appreciated, just hoped to have everything set up , its a surprise for someone !

So its not the new monitor ? it is ME !?

How do I attach a image, perhaps I could show you a snapshot of websites etc ?

thx......

[Moderators notes (by Thomas): Stray IMG tag removed from end of post for you.]
joecool
Grafter

Will going control/display/advanced & display Font Size , choosing large or small make a difference to the websites ?

Thx
Community Veteran

Yes, and some websites (and applications for that matter) may not like large fonts.

ALso are you using the latest graphics drivers for your graphics cards. Try downloading the latest versions as it may be using the WIndows Me versions which often have less config features than the manufacturers versions.
joecool
Grafter

OK could you direct me how to get the drivers or to check if I have the correct ones......................

Thx
Community Veteran

Not until your have given us details about your graphics card you use i.e. make model/version etc. I also suspct the fact that your old monitor was 800x600, your system is quite old, in which case, are you sure the graphics card can handle higher resolutions.

If it's an Nvidia based graphics cards, try the generic drivers from www.nvidia.com. If it's another manufacturer, try their website for drivers.
joecool
Grafter

Hi systems only just over 3yrs..........just aways been at 800x600

Whilst in any other resolution up to 1280 X 1024 web pages are not fillinf the screen(windows is OK) to the left or both sides...........

I've been told.....'most websites are made with 800 x 600 and some but not all up to 1024 x 768.Whats supposed to happen is your browser send the website information regarding your viewing prefferences and it downloads the most suitable for you but if it doesnt support the size your viewing at you get all the text on the left and a lot of empty space on the right.' ?

Seems to defeat the purpose of a large screen for viewing !

But also after altering icon size & text etc after changing resolution..........the text actually on websites appears to small & you have to keep using the 'increase button'

Also any usual pop up boxes like 'customize my desktop' , programs.....all appear to small & no way of changing either .....

Is there a way to set 'customize my desktop'' to default ?

Shame really like it otherwise..........looks like its going back!

Where do I go to check make of graphics card etc ?

Appreciate all your help.......

Thx

Also on clicking 'Dispaly Properties' it says 'L1730S (Monitor model No) NVDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64' ? just above changing colours & screen area ?

Checked some original paperwork............'NVIDIA TNT-2 32 MB Graphics'
N/A

Most websites now are designed with a certain resolution in mind, the HTML code within the site automatically calculates the position of text, icons etc. based on the resolution the browser reports. However since your resolution is greater than most sites "best view" resolution, you will get blank areas. This is little you can do about it, since you've got to bear in mind the number of different resolutions that can be displayed on a monitor or TFT Screen.
You can increase the text size within a site, Select View, then text size and you'll be presented with a range of text size.

You can alter the size of text and icons displayed within the screen, the option should be under the display icon within control panel. I can't give you any more detail sorry, since I don't have Win ME.
joecool
Grafter

Appreciated Thx ................So the gaps are inevitable........for high resolution........so you recommend highest resolution for LCD Monitors ?

Thx again for help, thought it was new monitor!
N/A

If you really bothered, just change the resolution down, it won't harm the LCD.
They provide an optimal setting to help you get the best out of the LCD screen.
joecool
Grafter

Hi just to confirm lower resolution settings like 800x600 won't harm MONITOR, don't need to always be at highest......

Everything is clearer, some of text smaller....but able to use increase in 'firefox'

pity you can't set 'firefox' text increase for all sites, so as not to keep to doing it on return.

Thx again ..............I best get some real work done ............help appreciated

So you don't think ther's a need to send back Smiley