cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up wireless link b/w ADSL router & wired network

N/A

Need some help as I think I may have blown some money in vein, but here I go.

Just moved into a new place and the phone socket is not near where my home network is now setup. My thought was to buy an ADSL router with wireless AP built-in and plug that into the phone socket, and use my existing D-Link DWL-900AP+ access point conected into the hub of my wired network, thereby allowing devices on the wired network access to the Internet.

I just purchased a D-Link DSL-G604T ADSL router/Wireless AP and noted the AP will only work in Infrastructure mode. My DWL-900AP+ has the ability to work as a bridge, repeater & client as well as the regular infrastructure mode as well.

During initial setup with both devices sitting right next to each other, the DWL-900AP won't 'see' my ADSL router in bridged or repeater modes, but I get some connectivity in client mode.

With the standalone DWL-900 Access Point In client mode, and my PC plugged into the DSL-G604T ADSL router I can ping the DWL-900 & access it's web configuration just fine, but can't ping anything else on the wired LAN. Also from the wired LAN I cannot ping or access the website configuration of the ADSL router (although I ticked the options to allow ICMP pings & remote web access and power cycled the ADSL router & the DWL-900 access point).

Could someone help in pointing out a software configuration that should work, or less preferably tell me why the kit I have won't work and suggest what I need to look for to get it working.

Thanks,

Steve
4 REPLIES
N/A

the kit wont work cos it hates you basicaly.. why didnt you just go to BnQ and get a phone line extension? (i run a line from the middle of my hall downstairs into my room upstairs where my router is and it works fine) for a total cost of under£10 :p
N/A

Ummm, thanks for the suggestion?? Although the router is in a small dark cupboard, I never thought of it's feelings. I'll try turning on the light in there and test connectivity again.
I don't want to use wires because there are enough holes in the house, and I'd prefer to not have a wire on top of the running boards all down the hallway which, in my opinion would look crap, but each to their own I guess. :?
N/A

Fixed.
I factory reset both devices, removed all security & filtering including firewall then setup again and it worked, with the DWL-AP900+ as a wireless client. Once I verified this was okay, I implemented WEP & MAC filtering again and now it's all working well.
N/A

see told u it hated you :p

and hey.. wires are fun.. specialy ones across the top of the stairs ^_^