cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up security inside a home network

N/A

I’ve got an Eicon Diva wireless ADSL modem / router / firewall which is Ethernet-connected to a main W98SE PC, and 2 laptops on the way which will use Wi-Fi to talk to the router. All 3 talk to the Internet through the router. The main PC has some folders and a printer shared out, so the new XP Home laptop can see them. The other old W98SE laptop is exclusively for a lodger who’s coming soon. I want that one to be able to only see the Internet, and the printer hanging off the PC (I’m willing to give up printing from that if it complicates things though – the router can block an address from the internal network).

The router’s firewall can block accesses to the internal network on the basis of IP address (not on Mac address, I don’t think). The PC also has basic Zonealarm, which can block accesses also by IP address or address range. It also has passwords on the shared folders.

In this setup, I’m trying to make sure the lodger’s laptop can’t see the main PC, but am not sure how to do that i) securely, and ii) while allowing our laptop to have a dynamically-set IP address, which I suppose I would need if I want to take it out onto external wireless hotspots.

The problem as I see it is: If I set both laptops to be assigned their IP address by the router, then the main PC’s Zonealarm wouldn’t know which one was trying to look at it. Whereas, if I set a static address on the XP Home laptop and restricted the main PC to only recognise that,, then I’d have to switch it back every time I took the laptop out. What’s more the lodger could guess it, and set his to the same IP address while I was out.

I’m not looking for specifics, just some advice on the best way to go about securing this setup. I hope someone can help.

cheers
5 REPLIES
N/A

Windows 98 isn't exactly secure as it only has 3 choices for file permissions but you should be able to stop the router from passing any packets across the network, it will then just function as an internet gateway....
N/A

Fair enough, but I want them to go across the network between my laptop and the PC, just not between the other laptop and the PC
N/A

then you need to allow file and printer sharing on the folder you wish to share and make sure there is nothing stopping it from being seen i.e a firewall....
N/A

I thought the router firewall or zonealarm might be able to prevent one of the laptops from getting that far, so I'm not just relying on the passwords on the actual folders to protect them.
N/A

If i were you i would knock of your firewall(S) until you are happy you can share the folders you want across the network. This way you can pinpoint what is going wrong should it not work straight off.