cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a wireless network for dialup/broadband

N/A

I currently have 2 pc's - one desktop the other a laptop and dialup access to the internet. I currently want to setup a wireless connection to the internet from my laptop.

Can anyone suggest the hardware I will need to do this this bearing in mind I intend to upgrade to broadband at some time in the future and would prefer to reconfigure this hardware as opposed to buy new hardware from scratch.

ie.
could I use a wireless broadband router (without adsl modem) connected to the desktop via ethernet. sharing the desktops dialup internet connect on the network? ....then connecting an adsl router to the wireless router when I opt for broadband?
2 REPLIES
N/A

If you get the netgear wireless adsl router you can use it as you describe. You plug one pc in to its network port and the other one connects via a wireless conection and uses the dial up connection sharing. When you get broadband everything stay the same except you plug the router in to the phone line and connect to the net via adsl.

Only minor changes would be needed when you get adsl
N/A

thanks for the reply,

I just figured it was not possible to use the network part of an adsl router without utilising the modem. Great if I can though as it saves buying extra bits of kit