cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a shared wireless Broadband connection

N/A

Hi,

I have recently purchased a new Laptop with built in Wireless card (802.11g). An Acer 2001wlci (with Win XP Pro). What i really want to setup is where i can share my existing Plusnet Broadband connection on my Desktop PC (also with Win XP Pro) upstairs to my new laptop using wireless connection.

Now im getting quite confused about what hardware i will need and how to go about setting it up.

Firstly i need to get a simple plan of what to get and how to connect it up (sorry if thats vague but its best to start at the beginning)

Secondly has anyone used this setup before? and if so what kind of speeds etc were obtained? in a nutshell is it worth it?

Any help would be great.

[Moderator's note (by acarr): Removed duplicated thread. Please do not cross post]
19 REPLIES
PLC
Grafter

There are various ways you can do it. Perhaps if you told us excatly what kit you have at the moment on the desktop PC and if you have a budget in mind.
N/A

I have on my desktop pc a spare NIC and currently have the dynamode usb modem. Its a Atlhon 2100XP, 1GB RAM etc system.

Im looking to get the best connection on the laptop itself so cost is not a major option but obviously nothing too drastic.
N/A

The best way is to get a netgear wireless router modem. Connect that to your adsl. Connect you desktop to it and connect via wireless with the laptop. You can share files with the other pc and connect to the net off them both.
N/A

thanx for the reply

Just one question - the wireless router connects to the desktop pc yes? so no need to get a wireless card for the pc? just to make sure.
PLC
Grafter

Yes. This is exactly the setup I am running. I am more than pleased with it.
N/A

excellent,

thanx for your help

ill be looking into getting the WGT624 and go from there

many thanks
PLC
Grafter

Just for clarity I am using a Netgear DG834G. USB ADSL modems tend to be slow.
N/A

Peter,

thats confused me a little

i thought you would do away with the usb modem and connect to your adsl line with the router?

if i understand you correctly are you saying that the usb modem connects to the router and is shared that way? And when you say that the usb modem is slow is there another option? or is it just slow on the laptop?

:?
PLC
Grafter

Reply.

It is probably me that is confused! The DG834G is a combined ADSL modem, router and wireless connection. Apart from the NIC to connect it to the desktop PC and the wireless card in the laptop you don't need anything else. Apologies if I did not make that clear.
N/A

ah right! i understand now

Is the combined router/adsl modem quicker than using both a router and a usb modem?Huh
PLC
Grafter

I have not actually tried them but USB ADSL modems don't have a good reputaion for speed. However, since you may be using both machines simultaneously it makes sense to have some capacity in hand. For example I have been doing a long download on my desktop machine whilst using the laptop for other work without any noticible performance degradation though obviously the speed of the connection to your ISP has a limit.
N/A

You can't use a USB modem with a router, the only
model you can do it with is a Draytek 2200 and that
only works with Alcatel modems.
If you want to go the 'seperate' route, assuming
your looking at Netgear's 'Turbo' 108Mbps
router, then you will need a seperate 'ethernet'
modem to partner it, like Netgear's DM602.
Alec
N/A

what about this http://www.linksys.com/products/pro...cid=35&prid=544

where you connect your adsl modem to this router and it shares the connection?

would this do the job?
Community Veteran

Your link is bad.

In any case you have a USB modem and the only product that allows a USB modem to be connected to it was the draytek posted earlier. None of the Linksys products I know of allow a USB modem to be connected to it. Note: USB is not the same as Ethernet.