cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a WLAN with Win2000

N/A

I have three PCs all running Win2000 Professional and two Bluetooth dongles. I want to set up a WLAN to share internet connectivity between the three boxes. The box with the broadband connection also has an Ethernet card built into it, but not connected to a network.

Any ideas who to go about setting up a WLAN?
7 REPLIES
N/A

Robbie,

If I were you (which of course I am not) I would get a nice firewall/router for your connection and plug a wireless access point into it for wireless connectivity for the extra 2 PC's

Forget bluetooth for this job.

I am sure millions of others will disagree but i suppose that's what a forum is for.
N/A

Hmm. So if I get something like the Netgear MR814, will I presumably then need to get different tranceivers to connect to it? Can't use the Bluetooth jobs to do it?
N/A

I would go for separate cards or if internal cards are a problem you could use netgear usb devices

the MA111 is quite a nice unit, you may wish to extend the cable provided depending on the distances/terrain between units.
Community Veteran

What modem are you currently using for the broadband connection? Is it a USB device?

The MR814 does not have an ADSL modem built in, it is designed to work with an additional modem which your existing one may not be compatible with it, especially if it's a USB device).

The MA111 suggested above is a USB wireless device so you may have problems with it (I prefer to get away from USB as much as possible). It does not solve your ADSL modem/router which you still need.

As for your bluetooth dongles, well do you have a bin near you.

They are not really designed for networking to other PCs, if you have phones to communicate with that is fine but PC networking is a not recommended. Everyone is using WiFi (802.11a/b/g) now for networking and bluetooth has been left behind for various reasons: the main 2 being short transmit distance and security, it's pretty bad for both.

You are unlikely to find a decent router that supports bluetooth and ADSL broadband and even if you do you may have a very limited choice.

My recommendation is get a DG834G adsl modem/switch/wireless router and some 802.11a, b or g wireless adaptors for your PCs (or if they are close enough just connect them via ethernet cable). You already have a network card so that's £5 you have saved. There are a number of other makes from different manufacturers which may be cheaper so check the spec and look at D-link or Linksys or any others that may be listed in following posts.

Bluetooth is a non-starter for me.
N/A

couldn't have said it better myself.

I tend to prefer separate modem/router combinations but then that's another stroy entirely
N/A

Thanks. I have the Binatone USB ADSL modem spare but am using a PCI ADSL modem at the mo. I reckon I'll go with your advice and get the all-in-one box of tricks.

Cheers muchly.
powerhouse
Dabbler

yup... go for the all-in-one ... you wont regret Wink ... im using en5861 and works like a dream box!