cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up Solaris 10

gosforth
Grafter

Setting up Solaris 10

I have just downloaded and installed Sun's Solaris 10. I have installed it OK, but I can't get the machine to see the network. Has anybody done this? Has anybody got any ideas? I have copied the appropriate manuals (in pdf) onto a CD, but I can't suss out how to mount the drive on Solaris. Again any ideas would be great.

I am connected to ADSL via a Netgear 834G router/filewall.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,
Chris.
8 REPLIES
gosforth
Grafter

Solaris 10 networking problem - update

Problem update. I've tried several things, but still no joy. Any help would be gratefully received.

I have just installed Solaris 10 (x86) on my PC, which is connected to an ISP via a Netgear DG834G firewall/modem router. I can't find the network. My router has the IP address 192.168.0.1 and my ISP assigned IP address is 214.159.X.Y

I have edited various files based upon information I have gleaned from the web, but still no joy. File edited/created:
/etc/hosts
214.159.X.Y hostname hostname.plus.net loghost
(question should these be separated by spaces or tabs?)

/etc/nodename
hostname

/etc/inet/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
214.159.X.Y hostname hostname.plus.net loghost

/etc/defaultrouter

/etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 212.159.13.49
nameserver 212.159.13.50

/etc/hosts.deny
ALL:ALL

/etc/netmasks
214.159.X.Y 255.255.255.0

/etc/hostname.lo0
hostname
(is the ethernet interface on a x86 sys lo0?)

I have clearly got something wrong or missed something out. Any help would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks,
Chris.
Community Veteran

Setting up Solaris 10

My wireless bridge arrived today, so I may get chance to dust off Solaris 9 and have a go at networking it myself. (Lack of drivers for my wireless card had stopped me before.)

Does Solaris have drivers for the network card you are using?

Checkout the Hardware list @;
http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data/sx/

Is this your first Solaris or are you upgrading?

Now I need another 256Mb of memory to run Solaris 10.

Chilly
Community Veteran

Setting up Solaris 10

If the cd does not auto mount use the command;
volcheck

It 'should' mount to a directroy called;
/cdrom/cdrom0

Chilly
gosforth
Grafter

Setting up Solaris 10

This is the first time I have installed Solaris on my PC. I have an ASUS A7N9X-E motherboard, which includes a Marvell 88E8001 Gigabit LAN. I couldn't see the motherboard listed, but it seems to work with Solaris 10. Other models with the Gigabit LAN were listed, so I guess its fingers crossed! BTW, I am connected directly to the router - I have the wireless feature turned off.

Thanks for your input.
gosforth
Grafter

Setting up Solaris 10

I am lucky. I have found that there are Solaris drivers on the ASUS website. I have downloaded them to a CD so that I can install them on Solaris. The problem is that I can't mount my DVD drive in Solaris.

My Sony DVD RW-U14A is attached to IDE2 as the master.

If I type
iostat -En
I get
c1t0d0 soft errors 0 hard errors 0 transport errors 0
Vendor Sony Product DVD RW-U14A
Size 0Gb etc.

I then try to mount
mount -F hsfs -o ro /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 /cdrom
mount: /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 no such device

I then did an ls in /dev/dsk and found that the
driver was there.

I also tried the same command with c1t0d0p0 and that
also didn't work with the same error message.

The CD in the drive contained a tar file which I had put
onto the CD from Windows.

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks,
Chris.
N/A

Setting up Solaris 10

looking through the original config there are a couple of errors.

Your host IP address should be a 192.168.0.x address, not the external ISP assigned address which will be for the ADSL side of the router. You will need to update /etc/inet/hosts. Also /etc/hosts should be a link to /etc/inet/hosts - so both files should be the same.

You also need the correct /etc/hostname.xxx to match your ethernet adapter. lo0 does not sound right, this is probably a loopback device. I have experience with solaris on sun boxes and the device is normally le0, hme0, qfe0 or similar (ending e0).

You may be able to view the devices found during the last boot by typing 'dmesg | more' and try to spot the ethernet device. If the log has been overwritten try a reboot, using 'boot -rv' from the system prompt to give a verbose output.
Community Veteran

Setting up Solaris 10

Chris

How have you got on with your Solaris install?

I have not been able to get mine networked yet as the new network card I purchased had the wrong chipset, so there are no drivers Sad
Never mind I am purchasing one off of ebay that is confirmed to be the correct chipset.

I have also download Solaris 10 to give that a try.

Chilly
gosforth
Grafter

Setting up Solaris 10

I have got some Solaris 7+ drivers for the onboard Marvell yukon gigabit ethernet adapter. I am having problems getting them to work. However, I have received a posting on the Sun newsgroup from somebody who has got the same motherboard working OK.

See:
http://supportforum.sun.com/sunos/index.php?t=msg&th=1975&start=0&rid=0

Chris.