cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server at home

N/A

Server at home

I've got an old pc at home which I'd like to use as a server so colleagues can upload files to it. I don't need anything flash, in fact the simpler the better. I don't want pointless graphs showing useage, processor time or hair length of user etc. which comes with windows server 2003.
Already got two pcs and a mac sharing my plus connection through a 4 port switch and a zoom 4 modem/router etc
Any suggestions?
18 REPLIES
N/A

Server at home

If you must use Windows I'd not recommend going any further back than 2000. Personally if it's just to be used as an FTP server (which I'm assuming is what you mean) I'd look at either FreeBSD or Linux.
N/A

Server at home

Thanks, but - and forgive me for not having found a suitable answer for this so far - how would another user log in to a machine I had at home, assuming of course that if they just went ftp://www.mywebsiteonplus&c.com, they'd end up going through to the free web space on plus.
N/A

Server at home

you can setup your domain (I pay £1/month for a .co.uk domain through PN) with a subdomain that will forward to your home server (something like home.yourdomain.co.uk) and then setup the relevant port forwarding through your router.

If you get stuck let me know!
N/A

Server at home

Forgive me for sounding thick, as I'm not on my home machine. We pay a £1 a month to be www. thebolans.plus.com, apparently. Or am I getting things backwards here?
How do you set up the sub-domain thingy?

All help much appreciated, by the way
Community Veteran

Server at home

No the £1-00 per month is for you to have a .co.uk domain included with your account, the username.plus.com costs you nothing.
You can have Plusnet register and host a .co.uk name for you all covered by this £1 -00 per month (that you dont need to pay if you dont have a domain)
Go to the Domain name on the left and follow the links to get a Domain registered
N/A

Server at home

to setup a subdomain goto https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=domainv2 and select "configure". Add an A record with the name of the subdomain (eg home) then in the right field enter your home ip address. That should do everything you need (other than the port forwarding, which you need to setup on your router at home). Again if you get stuck let me know - there are loads of people here who are more than happy to help.
N/A

Thanks all

Cheers. I'll sort it out when I get back tonight.
Community Veteran

Server at home

To go back to your original question. I would recommend SME server from http://contribs.org/

It’s a Linux (RedHat) server distribution, which run well on older hardware and Is very simple to set up with web based configuration.

Chilly
N/A

Server at home

Will that happily talk to a w98SE drive in the same system?
Community Veteran

Server at home

No

SME will erase the disk as part of the installation, there is no duel boot option.

Chilly
N/A

Unclear

Sorry, I meant if the pc had two hds. One litte one running linux and one bigger one with some w98 stuff dumped on it and a place for storing ftp files.
N/A

Server at home

I see no reason why SME wouldn't be able to mount a FAT partition, which would make it visible in Linux.
Community Veteran

Server at home

I would make sure that the second disk is removed during installation of SME, as it is not designed to co host with other operating systems its just as likely to erase and reformat all disks it finds.

SME is not the distribution for you if you wish to keep the second disk Win98

Chilly
N/A

Server at home

Forgive me for sounding thick, as I'm not on my home machine. We pay a £1 a month to be www. thebolans.plus.com, apparently. Or am I getting things backwards here?
How do you set up the sub-domain thingy?

All help much appreciated, by the way

Just going back to this point, if you are on the premier account you will have a static ip address, if that is the case try www.ipchicken.com and this will tell you what it is

then would be best to setup portforwarding of port 21 (ftp port) to the machine in your network with the ftp server on (some ftp servers allow you to change incoming ports, so just make sure your frineds and the router are set to the same one)

your friends would then type into there ftp client ftp://00.00.00.00 (where the 00s are your internet ip address), then in theory it should go through to the ftp server you have setup