cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server 2003 ADDUSER query

rascom
Grafter

I know there are a few techie bods on here like us so am hoping someone can shed some light on this.

We're putting in a new server at the weekend and have got the new system up and running using Windows 2003 Server (Standard Edition) R2.

Everything seemed fine until we tried to add a new user from the Server Management page when the operating system blocked the wizard from running and reports a DEP error. We've tried enabling and disabling the Add User Wizard from within the DEP options to now avail.

Can anyone shed light on this before we have to look into re-installing the whole darned thing?
6 REPLIES
N/A

have you got AD intalled /?

can you add a user from thee cmd prompt like this

change /domain for the domain name
net user fred password /add /homedir:\\<server>\users\fred /scriptpath:login.bat /domain

what dep error do you get and have you tried turning it off
N/A

just done some digging for you take a look here

http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=363865

It seems the problem is often if you install sp1 instead of sbs sp1
removing sp1 fixes it you dont say if this is what you have done
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

Hi,

how many users are you adding / creating etc ?

If it is not that many it is often better to do it manually.
rascom
Grafter

It's a brand new copy of Windows Server (not SBS) so is already on Service Pack 2 R2 up.

We can add a user from within the AD itself but just not using this wizard from within Server Manager.

Can't spot anything else amiss but it just worries me that something isn't 100% when we're supposed to be putting into deployment at the weekend.

All testing other than this has gone fine.

The DEP error just basically says that DEP prevented access to the Add User Wizard. You can either continue to run it (does nothing) or Cancel in which case it adds it as a selectable option into the DEP exceptions list.
rascom
Grafter

It's a brand new copy of Windows Server (not SBS) so is already on Service Pack 2 R2 up.

We can add a user from within the AD itself but just not using this wizard from within Server Manager.

Can't spot anything else amiss but it just worries me that something isn't 100% when we're supposed to be putting into deployment at the weekend.

All testing other than this has gone fine.

The DEP error just basically says that DEP prevented access to the Add User Wizard. You can either continue to run it (does nothing) or Cancel in which case it adds it as a selectable option into the DEP exceptions list.
N/A

You should be able to add the wizard to the allowed DEP or MS have a tool to do it on there website.

Other than that I wouldnt worry as long as you can add users ok