cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selection of usernames

N/A

Selection of usernames

I am running windows 2000 professional and IE 6. In using the plusnet website, I have somehow managed to type my email password into the username box on the members centre email logon box. Now when I start to type in my username my password becomes a selection of a drop down list for all to see! Shockedops:

Is there anyway I can delete this?
11 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Selection of usernames

When I used IE, if you highlight the entry after it has filled it in and press delete, that should delete it.
N/A

Selection of usernames

Thanks for the quick response.

Unfortunately deleting as you suggest does not work. I would suspect that there is a file somewhere with the usernames in but I do not know what it is called or where is lives.

Any ideas?
N/A

Selection of usernames

If you clear out your cookies, (Tools>Internet Options) that will get rid of the file holding the details!
Alternatively - change your password Wink
N/A

Selection of usernames

Good idea but the details are still there ! Cry
Any other suggestions (I would rather not have to change my password)?
Alecto
Grafter

Selection of usernames

Tools
Internet Options
Content
Autocomplete
and turn it off/clear the stuff there
N/A

Selection of usernames

Fantastic, that worked a treat. Many thanks for everyones time and effort.
N/A

Selection of usernames

Alecto
Grafter

Selection of usernames

A further thought
If you download and install the free C*** Cleaner utility, one of the items you can choose to clean is your autocomplete history.
C Cleaner is a brilliant utility anyway, and helps to clean up all kinds of loose ends on the computer.
N/A

Selection of usernames

N/A

Selection of usernames

also a god tip is to never tell internet explorer to remember your password on a site.

It is possible to extract them from the protected storage of the registry quite easily
N/A

Selection of usernames

Its very easy to retrieve system (logon) passwords from a Windows box too, so since logons can't be secured properly, any password stored under your username becomes much more of a liability.

Admittedly somebody needs physical access to your machine, and the ability to boot from CD-ROM, but in the event of a theft of your machine (which becomes much easier, and more likely as more of us use notebooks) the danger becomes a reality.

Apparently Vista changes the storage methods and locations for password details, but it probably won't take long for tools to be available to retrieve passwords from a Vista box.

/wonders if Sentinal Card Protection extends to cover web logon details and organisations.