cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security on a wireless networks

RobDickson
Grafter

I am having real problems with my wireless network. I have set the router up to require WEP, and when I connected from my PC, I entered the WEP key and everything connected OK.

My main concern is hackers. When connecting to PlusNet ADSL through my USB modem, I pass the Symantec and GRG security checks 100%. However, when connected through my wireless router (which doesn't have a firewall built in), both security checks report that I have a few ports open (ICMP Ping and FTP are two of them), and a lot of ports closed (but not stealthed). The only help that Symantec gave me was to say that the open ports are needed for a LAN. How do I stealth my closed ports, and can I close the open ports to inbound traffic without affecting my wireless ADSL connection?

My second problem is that the PC frequently connects and disconnects from my router. I have a feeling that what's actually happening, is that one of my neighbours has an unprotected wireless LAN, and I'm intermitantly connecting to his or her router. Does anybody know whether it's possible to disable the wireless roaming feature on a PC?

By the way, I have Norton Internet Security 2003 installed on my PC. I have no idea how to stealth or close ports using NIS.
3 REPLIES
mitchell20
Grafter

Not sure if the following helps, but here goes :-

To block specific ports using Norton Internet Security use the wizard:

1 From the main NIS window click on Personal Firewall
2 Click the yellow 'configure' button at the bottom left of the window
3 Another window then opens - click on 'Advanced' tab
4 Click on 'General Rules'
5. Click 'Add'
6. You can now either block, permit or monitor connections - Click 'block' hit 'Next'
7. Choose which direction you want to block, In, Out or Both - would say just click 'In' hit 'Next'
8. Click on 'Any Compter' hit 'Next' - not 100% sure what next if you need to block TCP, UDP, TCP and UDP or ICMP but you will need to select 'Only the types of communication or ports listed below' - then add the port numbers in the box
8. Click next a few more times......

Regarding the interferance - try changing the wireless channel number (this needs changing on both the router and the network card - obviously these need to match - you will probably then have to re-enter your WEP key at both ends.
RobDickson
Grafter

Thanks for your answer. Having spoken to a friend, he reckons that the open ports aren't a problem, because they are open ports on the router, not on my PC. As I have NIS installed on my PC, there should be no problem.

As far as the channel number is concerned, I think you've hit the nail on the head. Both wireless routers are operating on the same channel, and my neighbour's router isn't protected - I can access the internet even with my router turned off.

All I need to do now, is to find out how to change the channels.
N/A

If you go to my page

www.janwright.co.uk/new.htm there is a link to a util netstumbler under security which can be used for wardriveing (driving around looking for wireless networks). Its only a small programe and it will find all networks in range and report the channel etc. Its fun and it could show up that there is more than one network near you.

You have to change the channel in the router setup and also on the NIC as they both have to be the same. Its normaly very easy to do and it should be in the manuals.