cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secondhand imacs, info please

N/A

My son is bugging me for a cheap imac of ebay.
The old 233mhz type, they can be had for about £35.00
Anybody know if they have a port for cat5 ethernet cables, in fact will they work of a Linksys router, wired or wireless.
Is it not worth the bother, I imagine they are a bit slow.
They dont come with a keyboard or mouse. Will any USB set be OK, or does it have to be a single click dedicated imac mouse.
Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

Hi Paul
The imac has two USB ports and a network port so you wont have any problem running either a USB wireless adapter or linking to a router via cat5 cable, ive done both on an old 233mhz imac with no problems

You dont need the mac keyboard or mouse as any USB ones will do the job you will just be missing the dedicated keyboard keys which to be honest you can live without and as the mac keyboard hosts the mouse via a port at one end you will need a hub if you want to use more than two ports

hope this helps
N/A

Thanks for the info holdtight.
N/A

Ok, so I got the imac.
In fact I was a sent a better spec machine than the one advertised.
I ended up with a 266 with 190 meg ram.
Anyway the question is, it came with OS 9.2 and IE5.1
Foolishly I pluged in the ethernet cable and hoped it would connect.
All that happens is I get an "A connection error has occured" message.
Fair enough, some fiddling about with setting is to be expected.
But where are the settings, I can't find them anywhere. I know nothing about OS 9.2 or any version of it to be honest.
Should I not bother, because I keep reading that OS X is a major improvement and it can be had quite cheaply.
One last question if I may, as they have no floppy how do you go about fomatting drives, is it done from a CD.
Oops just one more, is the BIOS accessable. Sorry to be a pain, but I just dont have the time to learn it all from scratch.
Many thanks for anyone kind enough to reply
N/A

Go to the apple menu (top left) select control panels, modem and tcpip.
To format hard drives you must start up using the system cd and use disk firstaid. Not sure about using OSX may be speed and ram issues. I run a G4 OSX and could not bear to use windows machines again. Main advantages ease of use and No Viruses.

Good luck
Dave
N/A

I wouldn't bother with OS X. Not because it isn't better (it is) but because your iMac is neither quick enough nor has enough memory to do it justice.

To format the disk you need to boot from the system CD. Hold down "C" when you start the Mac.

Why do you need to access the BIOS? Macs don't have one, or at least not in the same way that you're used to on a PC. The nearest equivalent can be accessed by holding down "Command-Option-OF" as you start up but I suspect it's not really what you're looking for...

--> Stephen