cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second Drive folder

N/A

Second Drive folder

Some time ago I installed a second hard drive on my computer running Windows XP, the idea being to keep all data files seperate, to make it easier to make a secure copy of my system disc using Ghost. Now I find that there is a folder on drive C almost as large as the data on my second drive. Why is this, and how do I eliminate it please?
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Second Drive folder

Does this folder have name??

A little more information is needed from you in order to get some idea what this is. :?
N/A

Second Drive folder

Sorry, I made an assumption there, the folder is called "second drive".
Community Veteran

Second Drive folder

OK so lets see if I am understanding you correctly?
The folder that has appeared on drive C is named "Second Drive" and is nothing to do with the second hard drive that you have installed which is presumably drive D or E etc?
It is aso nothing to do with windows?

Have you opened this mystery folder to what it contains?
N/A

Second Drive folder

Poor at English, cannot express himself must do better! That will be on my report this year. Shockedops:
Right I installed a second hard drive (G) copied all my data files from C: to G: then deleted them on C: . Did a search yesterday for a file that I had written on drive G: found it on C: in folder second drive. On looking I found that Drive G: contains 5.29GB and folder second drive 5.23GB, all the files on G: apear to be in folder second drive. I never created folder second drive nor have I written any data to it by command.
I hope this explains the situation comprehensively.
Cheers
John
N/A

Ghosting

Hi Towill,

I've just read your posting & I hope you wont mind me commenting. Could I suggest that the folder ("second drive" on C:\ which has mysteriously appeared) is part of your Ghost program. Now I've not used Ghost before myself but it does seem to be popular & I've read good reviews about it. I wonder if Ghost bye the way you have installed & configured the program works by keeping data on one drive automatically copied from the folder "second drive" to your G:\ (the real physical second HDD?). So in effect the drives are almost mirrored perhaps with the exception of the system or boot files (i.e. windows but just your programs & data possibly). It sounds suspiciously like this.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Community Veteran

Second Drive folder

Yes it sounds as though the software you used to transfer the files to the new drive has left a copy on the original drive..
What I suggest you do is to just rename the mystery folder on drive C to something like "Mystery" for want of a better word.
Leave it for say 4 weeks while you continue using your system and if there has been no problems you can then safely delete it.
Should the renaming cause you trouble then you can always name it back to second drive again and rethink it.
N/A

Second Drive folder

Thank you both,I will try the rename idea. I am almost certain that it is not Ghost, as I keep that on a bootable floppy disk and load Dos and ghost only when I wish to make a security copy. I'll post here again if changing the name fails, or if not then in a few weeks if all is well.
N/A

Second Drive folder

I have no idea how you tell on XP (I would guess right click> properties) or why it would be there if it wasn't deliberately added but it sounds like a mounted volume.
N/A

? Mounted Volume in XP

Hello microwaved,

Thats an interesting idea but if that was the case wouldnt it show up in either windows explorer as just another logical drive letter (E:\ F:\ G:\ H:\ etc) or in winXP's disk manager. And seing as the folder is called "second drive" wouldnt anyone creating a mounted volume in XP disk manager know about it? where as in this case he doesnt know how this mysterious folder got there?

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
N/A

Second Drive folder

I renamed it from "second drive" to "WAS second drive". Guess what, I then clicked properties on Drive G; it was empty! Returned "second drive" to its original name and all it ok. As they say the plot thickens! :?
N/A

Second Drive folder

ha lol
Community Veteran

Second Drive folder

OK time to do this without involving Ghost.

Just create a folder on your new drive call it something like "Data" and then using my Computer open the new "Data" folder and also open the "Second Drive folder"
Go to edit - select all which will highlight all files and sub folders then using the right mouse button drag and drop to the "Data" folder.
You will be given the option of move or copy the files here.
Select copy and it will create a copy in the Data folder.

Then do the renaming bit again and you should still have all your data on the new drive under the data folder.
N/A

Second Drive folder

Indeed it is all there, stangely so are the original files now. I deleted "data" and the original files are still there. I put "second drive back to its original name then renamed it once more and the files are still there. Boy am I confused.
By the way while doing this I have noticed that ALL the files on G: are not on C:/second drive. Also I only use Ghost for back up to CD, and load it from a floppy. The only version I have on fixed drive is zipped.
N/A

Second Drive folder

lol its an endless circle Cheesy