cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen goes blank at random intervals - power still on

N/A

I've recently been looking at a Tiny computer running Windows me

At random intervals the screen goes blank and can't be revived other than by turning off the system box and then turning it back on again.

I've changed the power supply and installed a different graphics card but the symptoms are still the same.

I've also tested the hard disk in my test rig and the dft disk test utility can find nothing wrong with it.

When the screen goes to sleep the processor fan is still turning.

Anyone got any suggestions about what else I could look at or what might be causing this problem?
4 REPLIES
MarkAngel
Grafter

I know that this is a "Tiny" system, but we had something similar at work with Dell Gx270. The problem was with capacitors on the Motherboard were popping. Have a look on the Mobo at the Large Capacitors, you can tell it this is the problem by looking at the tops, if they are flat they are OK, if however they are bevelled then that could be your problem...in which case get on to Tiny to replace it (if in warranty).

The only other possibility that springs to mind is over heating, is your system sufficiently cooled/Air Flowed?? When CPU's get above a certain temp they tent to just freeze....worth checking out.

M
Community Veteran

I had a similar problem years ago all i know is that the problem was with the monitor rather than the system unit both PC and Monitor were made by Viglen not tiny though.

Sorry I Can't Be Of More Help
N/A

It sounds like a monitor issue to me, I had the same thing happen about 12 months ago. The monitor would stay on and go blank, dead annoying really.

Turned out the power saving element of the monitor had stopped sensing when the screen was actually in use.
N/A

Hi

I had a similiar situation with my ageing compaq 600 machine,turned out to be a memory module. I had first tried a subsitute monitor that did not cure the fault and then after some searching downloaded memtest from microsoft after I ran that problem would disappear for a couple of days. In the end I removed one stick of ram at a time to see which one made any difference.

hth

regards

Matt