cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SP2

jabb0
Grafter

SP2

Having just reinstalled and downloaded sp2, i am having a lil problem.

It hangs as soon as it hits the desktop when i boot up.

It is not any programs i have instaled as i removed these from startup via msconfig - problem still persists.

I have reinstalled just about every driver i can think of.

I have even reinstalled and tried again (several times).

The problem seems to come after i install Norton - but uninstalling it does not fix the problem so i cant be sure.

all programs appear to load ok in the taskbar until just before my adsl modem icon should appear - then it hangs - then the adsl modem icon appears.

during the hang time, i can access and run everything, except the connect to menu, when i go to this, the start menu freezes along with everything else.

I have both IIS and Apache installed, although i am not sure if this has any bearing.

I thought it might have been the Background Intelligence Transfer Service (to run windows updates) but i disabled this service to no effect.

Basiaclly i have tried everything i can think of, to find out exactly what this problem is - even post 2 other posts when i thouht it was my LAN or ADSLModem - but disabling/unistalling these didnt make a blind bit of difference.

All i can say for sure is that WinXP itself it trying to do something, most likely to do with networking, which causes my PC to hang on startup. I am at a complete loss, can someone please help?
13 REPLIES
N/A

SP2

Have you checked in the Event Viewer for any errors? Anything unusual regarding TCP/IP, for either network adapter in your PC?

My brothers PC used to do this frequently, and it was related to his network adapter. Basically it would take an age for the DHCP client to obtain an IP Address on his PC. I fixed it by giving him a fixed IP Address.

I see from your other thread you used a fixed IP of 192.168.0.1, but this is usually the DHCP server address, so you may have been conflicting with the other PC?
N/A

SP2

You just said the magic word or should i say swear word "Norton". To be honest i'd throw it in the bin, norton just isn't worth the hassle. If you can get you system running no problem without installing Norton then there is your answer. If your after another security setup in place of norton then i'd suggest sygate personal firewall along with AVG anti virus and Microsoft Anti spyware and Spybot, Adaware. I know it sounds like a pain having to use all those programs seperately, but to be honest norton is a compromise, nothing in it is particularly good at what it does, its just a convienent package with everything in it. Norton is also a huge burden on your system as it uses alot of resources.

Bin it you wont regret it.

Andy.
Community Veteran

SP2

Yep Totally agree with the above post.

Norton used to be good and I used it for years. But the latest versions are just bloatware and hog all your PC. Get rid and you wont be sorry. Smiley
jabb0
Grafter

SP2

Ya think,
Im quite happy with this solution, as i have been thinking this for a while - moved to mcaffee for a while - it totally raped my computer on me, so am back with norton.

So ill download the above software and all the ANTI-Huh? stuff.

Ill download those programs, reinstall and see you in a few hours :roll:
Community Veteran

SP2

Good luck uninstaliling norton - taking an age here Sad
N/A

SP2

There are some tools on Nortons support section to remove all traces of there horrid applications, at least there used to be when i had NIS 2004.
jabb0
Grafter

SP2

well guys thats me, up and running, sp2 .net framework the works.
No Norton, and never again.

Cheers guys, i really wanted to make the move just need a lil nudge in the right direction
Community Veteran

SP2

Good glad to hear it.
I had one client, a firm of accountants, that had to turn off Norton whenever they needed to run a program called "Iris" as the machine just ran so slow if it was running.
Eventually when their subscription expired I removed it for them and put them on AVG. Never had any problems from that date. Smiley
N/A

SP2

Iris as in the packet sniffing tool from Eeye? cos thats great Wink
Community Veteran

SP2

No Cheesy IRIS as in Inland Revenue Information Sysyem Sad
N/A

SP2

that sounds far less fun
Community Veteran

SP2

Yep totally boring but it helps to keep me in beer money Smiley