cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP mail (non)delivery

N/A

SMTP mail (non)delivery

Hi,
I am currently trying to get a mail server (Clarkconnect) up and running but am having problems setting up the SMTP mail delivery.

I have a domain hosted by 1and 1 on which I have set up a subdomain.
This subdomain has an A record pointing to my premier fixed IP address and an mx record pointing to my subdomain defined above.

I have opened port 25 on the clarkconnect firewall and can send mail on the subdomain with no problem. However any mail sent to the subdomain address is returned as undeliverable, still trying.

Can anyone tell me if I should expect a problem with port 25 blocking on premier? Is there maybe a problem as my domain is hosted by 1and1 and not plusnet?

Going round in circles at the mo' so any help appreciated Smiley
Cheers
Gary
4 REPLIES
N/A

SMTP mail (non)delivery

Non of the PlusNet subscription products block port 25.

The error you are showing is normaly seen when your firewall is incorrectly setup. The ability to send would not normaly signal that you can receive OK.

Another possible problem, is that the DNS settings have not yet caught up.

Your best bet is to wait 24 hours, during which, check your firewall and if possible, ask others to perform some remote SMTP diagnostics on your IP ()a tutorial on this is available in the tutorial forum).
N/A

SMTP mail (non)delivery

Thanks for the reply.
The clarkconnect firewall is definately set to allow incoming connections on Port 25.

I'll take a look at the SMTP diagnostics you mention. Presumably this will confirm if the port is open or not.

I am using a westell modem router that has been set to pass the ext IP address through to the clarkconnect server so I guess this would be another area to look at although I am sure I disabled the firewall on this.

DNS settings are about 36 hours and counting so I guess I can rule that out. Also the subdomain is routed through to my IP address OK on a browser.

Complete novice at this stuff. Can't believe I've got web mail running at home (Well partly Cheesy )
N/A

SMTP mail (non)delivery

OK. Got home and decided to check the firewall again.
Turns out I created the rule but it was disabled Shockedops:

Apparently
Thanks for the reply.
The clarkconnect firewall is definately set to allow incoming connections on Port 25.

was not quite as definite as I thought. :roll:

Anyway all is good now.
Thanks for the pointers acarr.

Gary
N/A

SMTP mail (non)delivery

No problem.

I hadn't spotted your reply anyhow.