cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP mail delivery.

N/A

SMTP mail delivery.

Ok, what am I doing wrong.

I have a mailserver running on a spare PC.
My .co.uk domain email is being delivered to it without any problems but I cannot get my Plusnet mail to do the same.

Yesterday I changed the setting on the portal from POP3 to SMTP. When I send an email (from yahoo or Gmail) I get it returned with the following.............

Mail Delivery System
<Mailer-Daemon@ptb-relay01.plus.net> to me
Show options 10:57am (1 minute ago)
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

mail@**********.plus.com
Too many "Received" headers - suspected mail loop

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

Return-path: <paul****@gmail.com>
Received: from [212.159.3.9] (helo=autoturn.force9.net)
by ptb-relay01.plus.net with smtp (Exim) id 1D0HRs-000F5K-2X
for mail@**********.plus.com; Sun, 13 Feb 2005 10:57:56 +0000
Received: (qmail 39135 invoked from network); 13 Feb 2005 10:57:55 -0000

Am I doing something wrong?

I don't see any attempts in my server log of PN trying to deliver via SMTP.

I have also tried the Finger command.

Any help appreciated.
4 REPLIES
mssystems
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

SMTP mail delivery.

Please excuse my intrusion on your network but I just managed to telnet a mail onto your server. You should be able to find a message from testATnet.invalid to mailATwoooshuk.plus.com All seems to be working.

I assume this was a DNS problem which has now resolved itself. It can take a few hours/days for DNS changes to perc through the internet.
the_norris
Grafter

SMTP mail delivery.

Have you done a open relay test? You don't what your mail server coming a spammer play ground.

see http://www.abuse.net/relay.html

This is what I did to test my email system. Passed all tests.

I did not that it does not take spammer and others long to fine your mail server. Took a few days from setting it up - was monitoring the log file.

Phil
N/A

SMTP mail delivery.

Yes, it was a DNS problem.

Also I have carried out all open relay tests and it has passed. The address mssystems sent an email to was within my network. Any other addresses should be rejected.

Regards

Paul
mssystems
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

SMTP mail delivery.

I almost always end up doing a relay test when I telnet a mail - my typing is not too accurate Smiley

Personally I use ordb.org to verify the relay is closed as their tests are quite extensive.

I did not that it does not take spammer and others long to fine your mail server. Took a few days from setting it up - was monitoring the log file.

Good point. The spammers will find the server a lot faster if you have a valid e-mail sat on a forum page. I would suggest editing the OP and munging the e-mail addy it contains. Fine knowing the spammer are not relaying off your server, better if they are not trying to connect at all.