cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCSI Cable

Community Veteran

SCSI Cable

Thanks for the help guys. It looks like RS and Maplins have them, but I was on the phone to my Insight account manager and mentioned it to him and theyve bent over backwards to order one for us. They arent too bad when it comes to customer service, although a little on the expensive side, great for business use.

Chris
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

SCSI Cable

Does anyone know where I can get either -
5m 68pin double ended male cable - this is a standard type of cable, except the max ive seen is 2m long.

Or a 3m 68pin male to female cable to extend an existing one.

I've looked at Ebuyer and Insight as well as a quick look on google.

Basically I just need to know if anyone has ever seen such cables or knows somewhere that probably sells them.
Community Veteran

SCSI Cable

Is this an internal IDC cable for connecting between a SCSI controller and internal drives or an external cable that plugs into the back of a SCSI card and plugs into something like a scanner or external SCSI drive case?

There are limits to the length of SCSI cables and depends on the speed and interface you are using, which may explain why you can't find 5M ones. Apart from Ultra2 SCSI 160/320 which allows 12M cables, the other strandards have a max allowable cable length of 3M or 1.5M. See http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/scsi_interface_cable.html
Community Veteran

SCSI Cable

It's for an external ultrium autoloader drive connected via the external port on the card, so its a pretty new device. From the information ive seen it's hinted at being the 12m length, but I dont know enough about SCSI to be sure.
Rich
Grafter

SCSI Cable

It might be worth trying somewhere like Maplin Electronics (www.maplin.co.uk) as they may have the bare cable (sold by the metre) and IDC connectors.
N/A

SCSI Cable

otherwise try, RS Electronics

I think you buy from them over the net.