cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATA and RAID

N/A

SATA and RAID

We are a small charity with an office of only 5 people. However, under our wings we have plenty of others, making my job rather complex.

Our current central storage is less than ideal. It currently requires 30 mins downtime on seconry disk failure and an un-tested 3 hours on primary failure.

Our plan is to introduce a larger storage cluster within the machine, which would be needed anyhow, due to higher loads of diskspace needed by myself.

This would effectibly turn our current secondry disk into a primary spare, reducing downtime on primary failure to 5 mins.

After looking at SATA and some old information relating to it (late 1999), it looks like a very good solution to ourselves.

The detail states it may become a hot-swap technology, does anybody know if it made it to that stage?

With the upgrade, we will introduce 2x RAID 1 disks, bringing storage down to allmost 0 downtime.

Does anybody have any good information of the Silicon Image Sil 3112 SATALink PCI host controler (detailed here)?

It isn't clear how many channels that device supports (it isn't clear how many any sata card support from what I see), can anybody clarify?

Does anybody know of a 4 channel (possibly 6) SATA card that will perform RAID 0+1 at the same time?

[EDIT]: Corrected link
3 REPLIES
N/A

SATA and RAID

The detail states it may become a hot-swap technology, does anybody know if it made it to that stage?

Yes, but the hardware has to explicitly say it can do so, and the Sil 3112 doesn't support this, but it's successor Sil 3512 does... Cheesy

Does anybody have any good information of the Silicon Image Sil 3112 SATALink PCI host controler (detailed here)?

Here's a ( review here) of the Silicon Image Sil3112 onboard the Asus A7N8X motherboard coupled with DiamondMax Plus 9 hard drives.

and another( review here) which is a dedicated SATA card solution at Tom's Hardware.

It isn't clear how many channels that device supports (it isn't clear how many any sata card support from what I see), can anybody clarify?

It only supports either a single Raid 0 or a single Raid 1 array only I'm afraid...

Does anybody know of a 4 channel (possibly 6) SATA card that will perform RAID 0+1 at the same time?

Yes, but you are looking towards a more professional solution... Tom's Hardware have such a ( review here) on a solution which boasts multiple Raid 5 arrays....! :shock:
N/A

SATA and RAID

Thats for the info, I will take a look at all that in the morning at work.

Our problem is we are only small, but our data is important, as it should be to every business.

Our setup went from dedicated desktops with central storage for important files and backups, to an allmost dedicated central storage system.

I have not done all that much research yet into all this, but it is something that has to go on the table sooner or later (sooner if possible, I'm allmost dead if the primary disk dies).

We had never toyed with the idea of dedicated central storage, and the solution we have now isn't all that legitimate or decicated. It provides little more than quick retrieval of files between work-stations.

Only after it was phased in on accident do we realise that we now have these issues with failures.
N/A

SATA and RAID

In that case, i think it might not be a good idea to go for the Silicon Image Sil 3112 cause it's not hot swappable and can only handle either a single raid 0 or a single raid 1 array....

I have the ASUS A7N8X with the Sil3112 SATA RAID controller built in and running a RAID 0 array... although after hearing some problems from other A7N8X owners e.g. broken stripes in their arrays, I'm rather afraid of losing data... so use another hard drive to back up it up....

Might be better off dedicating one PC as a file server and then going for a better SATA RAID card to be honest... although the higher end SATA cards might well be more expensive.... another option might be better to go for a decent IDE RAID card... they been around for long time now and so relatively inexpensive....

I used to own an Abit KG7 and KT7 motherboard that came with Highpoint RAID controllers.... 4 channel and can handle RAID0+1 array config and that way, take care of the striping and backup issues... and still have 4 normal IDE channels for extra hard drives or cd/dvd rom/writers....

Admittedly the ABIT KG7 and the KT7 are old motherboards now, but surely must be very cheap now because of this fact, although newer similar motherboards with similar functionality are around... e.g. Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro <-- has IDE RAID 0+1 and SATA RAID 0 or 1. A (review here) and Dabs.com's (price here)