cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATA and IDE can I have both?

tony_madge
Dabbler

I have just had delivered a new PC and I was going to use my old computers 2nd hard disc as it has all my data etc as the slave disc in the new PC however, upon opening it the new one that is, it has a SATA hard disc conected to SATA plug 1 the IDE plugs Primary is free the secondary has the optical drives on it. I am wondering if I can fit the IDE hard drive as a slave as it has 40gb of pics data music etc etc on it. Too much to burn onto DVD (which I have not had much luck with but thats another story!)
I do not have a wirless network so its a physical swop, I have done this in the past but not sure if I can get away with SATA and IDE...my Motherboard is an ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe if that helps?
I have had good results from this forum hope you can help me this time, cheers in advance.
Tony
10 REPLIES
N/A

I dont think this is possible mate. I think its a case of one or the other.
tony_madge
Dabbler

Oh ... I was hoping for a YES Cry I am like the sunday chicken then..stuffed... I have RJ connectors on both PC's however I had no luck when I tried to get my old PC to talk to my Laptop, both using XPsp2..... I am hoping there is an easy way roundHuh
N/A

There are no problems mixing IDE and SATA.

Connect the old drive to a free IDE connector and turn it on, should be recognised by your OS automatically.
markh

Yes it's possible - I have a similar setup myself.

SATA disks don't have master and slave as such - your IDE drive will be the primary master and you'll want to set the jumpers accordingly.
holdtight
Grafter

Yeah theres no problem using both i do, the only problem i have come across is although i installed XP on the sata drive so the MBR is definately there the system insisted on trying to boot from the first IDE disk

the only option i found to cure this was to set both IDE channels to none within the bios the OS still sees them and there is no problem apart from having to manually set the DMA option to system detect from bios detect

however this may not affect you and might just be the board sata combination im using

if anyone knows why this is let me know cos its got me stumped and yes i have set the sata as first boot
markh

If you installed XP on the SATA drive while the IDE one was plugged in you might find it put the MBR on the IDE drive anyway. I seem to recall a similar problem. Try removing the IDE disk and see if it will boot.
tony_madge
Dabbler

Many thanks for all the help, good news by the sound of it.Again many thanks and I will post to let you know if I did it right Cheesy
holdtight
Grafter

If you installed XP on the SATA drive while the IDE one was plugged in you might find it put the MBR on the IDE drive anyway. I seem to recall a similar problem

I installed the OS with just the sata drive connected to avoid such an issue so i know for sure the MBR is on the sata

thanks for your reply though

cheers
the_norris
Grafter

Bill

The problem where the PC whats to boot from the IDE disks first - can be normally fixed in the bios - there is a Add-in card boot prioity. This will list the IDE and SATA interfaces and if you had a SCSI card with bios this would be listed too.

What Motherboard do you have?

Phil
holdtight
Grafter

Hi Phil

Yes the option for Add-in card boot prioity is there and i have selected the sata option
i do know the option you mean and ive checked re-checked and checked again and no matter which way i do it i still have to set the first ide channel to none
if i set the bios as it should be with the ide set to auto and first boot device being sata it still tries to boot from the first ide
i dont have a SCSI card with bios and my motherboard is the Abit AN7 with onboard promise sata controller latest bios

its set at the moment with xp installed on the sata drive with two drives as master slave on the first ide and DVD RW & DVD rom on second

as it is at the moment its fine so i may just leave it be but if you can shed some light it would be much appreciated

@ tonymadge sorry didnt mean to hijack your thread

cheers
Bill