cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATA RAID

N/A

SATA RAID

One of my PATA drives is failing its SMART test, so I'm thinking of installing a RAID 1 pair of SATA drives. Two questions:

a) Is it possible to partition a RAID set? I like to have separate drive letters for different types of data. And if it is possible, do you need special software or is the RAID treated transparently in Windows as just a single drive?

b) Does anyone have any recommendations on a good SATA drive? Probably around the 160 GB mark; most important factor is noise (I hear the Seagate Barracudas are quite quiet). Given that the failing PATA drive is the second Maxtor to go in 6 months, I'm beginning to lose faith in Maxtor.

Cheers,

C
3 REPLIES
the_norris
Grafter

SATA RAID

Hi

Can anwser the first question.

The PC (Windows) will see the RAID Set (two drives) as one HDD. This you can partition up like a normal HDD. But one thing to note is that when you install Windows 2000 or XP - your will need to press F6 to install '3rd party mass storage device' - this is the driver for your RAID controller. Normally these come on a floppy disk from the motherboard maker or you can download this from your motherboard makers website. Windows will copy the driver from the disk and use this - then install windows like a normal install on a non RAID setup.

I take it you know about the different RAID configuations? RAID 0 and 1?

Phil
N/A

SATA RAID

Yes, I'll be using Raid 1 to mirror the two drives as I'm after reliability, not efficiency (ie striping w. Raid 0). If I feel in need of a project I might eventually see if I can get RAID 0+1 (i.e a mirrored stripe) going, if my RAID controllers support it.

I'm not actually going to be installing Windows on the RAID as I have it already installed on my existing, non-dying, PATA drive. The RAID is going to function as a mirrored data repository.
Brickinit
Grafter

SATA RAID

is it possible to put the SATA drivers on a CD and install them from there? as i would like to not install a floppy drive at all in my new system.