cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATA Hard Drive

Community Veteran

SATA Hard Drive

A friend of mine is trying to put together a new PC using a ABIT AX8 Version 2 Motherboard and a Seagate SATA HDD.
He cannot make the system see the hard drive and has tried everything he can find to tweak in the bios.

The hard drive is ok as it can be seen on a machine at his works.
I have never played with SATA drives as yet so cant help him.
Does anyone know of anything thats special about getting the drive seen from the bios?
27 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

SATA Hard Drive

I had a similar problem with the abit board im using now with two sata drives and two ide drives, xp is installed on the first sata but the bios would only try and boot from the first ide obviously giving an operating system not found message and would not detect the sata drives at all

The cure for me was to go into the bios and set all ide hard drive channels to none leaving the DVD and CD on auto

This wasnt all though there is also an option to enable sata within the bios make sure it is enabled and in the boot options bring sata add in card to the top of the list even if its an onboard sata chip

That should sort it out as it did for me, i dont know if its just the abit boards that have this glitch as ive not come across it with any other boards using sata

Hope this cures it for your friend John

Bill.
Community Veteran

SATA Hard Drive

Thanks Bill
I'll be seeing him tomorrow so will pass that info on.
I have tried disabling the primary IDE in his bios and had a quick look through to see if there was anything obvious but didn't spot anything that stood out.

Were pretty convinced that it's not a board fault as he has another ABIT machine using a PATA HDD but has SATA options. Hes tried putting the HDD on that one and that can't see it either :?
Will let you know if your suggestions work.
zpeterk
Grafter

SATA Hard Drive

On asus boards there is a jumper that has to be enabled for the sata chip to work In the bios you set it to boot from scsi (cd first) and then when installing press F6 to install 3rd party drivers, hope this helps

cheers
Community Veteran

SATA Hard Drive

No jumber on the ABIT board and no mention of it in the book.
Been down the F6 route yesterday and installed drivers during windows boot but it still comes up with no HDD's found when you hit return to install windows.
But this bit is confusing me as installing these drivers will only put them in along with the windows installation.
So at a normal boot up after everything is installed windows is not running at that stage and the system has to be able to see the HDD in order to get into windows. :?
Chicken and egg situation as far as I can see??

It's probably something very simple but as yet I havn't found it. :?
Highlighted
N/A

SATA Hard Drive

you get the SATA drivers on a fdd
boot the CD, hit F6 when it asks if u want to load any raid /scsi drivers

put fd in, load them up

continue
Community Veteran

SATA Hard Drive

As stated above. Been down that road, hit F6 then loaded the files from the floppy that came with the board but the drive is still not seen.

I would think though that the drive has to be seen by the bios otherwise how can it ever start since the files from the floppy are installed into windows (unless im wrong there) and it has to start to load windows from the HDD.

Again as I said above "Chicken and egg" situation :?
N/A

SATA Hard Drive

AFAIK you dont need SATA drivers to get a SATA hard drive to work.

Has he tried a different port on the motherboard? different cable maybe? The only time i have had a similar problem it was the IDE at fault, but it seems you have been down that road :?

Has he unpluged everything (apart from the obvious) and tried ?
Community Veteran

SATA Hard Drive

Yep he's tried a new cable and all four of the available SATA ports on the board.
We know the drive is ok as the bios on a machine at the college where he works can see it and report its size etc.
As yet I cant easily axcept that the Motherboard is faulty as it cant be seen on another SATA capable machine that my friend has.
If ever we get to the bottom of this I will certainly post back here. Cool
N/A

SATA Hard Drive

Im sure you will get there in the end.

Good luck!
Community Veteran

SATA Hard Drive

WinXP;
Start>AdminTools>Computer Management>Disc Management.

You should see the drive here so you can format/partition etc.

Can you see it there?

**EDIT**
I just realised that this problem is regarding a fresh install, whereas obviously what I was saying pertained to adding a SATA drive to an existing working system, which is what I did! Doh! Sorry.
zpeterk
Grafter

SATA Hard Drive

On the Intergrated peripherals setup menu is the on board raid rom enabled?
Community Veteran

SATA Hard Drive

Yes.
Have tried all the options available from "Auto" through the list of addresses it gives.
Also tried disabling all the IDE options in the Integrated peripheral menu as well.
Still unable to see the drive. Sad
holdtight
Grafter

SATA Hard Drive

If there is a ` Boot raid rom` option in the bios it should be enabled

Does the board recognise pata drives ok John ? the sata drivers dont especially need installing before windows boots (F6) to be seen by the system and windows installs without doing this as has already been mentioned

Have you tried a different sata drive to see if its just conflicting with the drive your trying to use ? i know its worked in a different machine but that doesnt mean that the abit is happy with it, unusual i know but you know how they can be sometimes

Either that or its something really simple that were all overlooking i cant think what though as all bases seem to have been covered, not had this problem before

failing that with everything else youve tried theres no reason why this shouldnt be working and i can only see that a mobo fault of some kind is the problem Sad

Bill.
N/A

SATA Hard Drive

Maybe you could try and clear the CMOS?