cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running Win 98 within an XP home network

graybeard

I kept our original m/c running Win 98 by linking to new XP m/c on a crossover cable. This worked well and meant it was behind the Zonealarm firewall for internet use.
Have now set up a Netgear DG834 v3 wired router which means the Win 98 m/c has a direct internet connection.

Would like to upgrade old m/c to XP to improve security but be able to keep certain legacy sotware running on Win 98. This would be mainly MS Access and Publisher which are not in my Office 2003 suite.

My thought is to partiton the old drive to use XP for all internet/email work and keep the legacy stuff for local use only.

If this seems a sensible way to go I would appreciate any advice on the best way to do it and any other issues I need to consider.

[Moderators Note by Jonathan (chillypenguin) Please do not try and use bold tags in the title line as they do not work.
7 REPLIES
Walrus
Grafter

Another option would be to run Virtual PC (free from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx) and use that to run legacy 98 software.

You should also take into account that the DG834 has a firewall which is probably on a par with ZoneAlarm security-wise, even if it isn't user-friendly wise.

Finally, I suspect the applications you mention will probably run on XP anyway.

Sorry... I've probably created more questions, but the options are there...
N/A

I would say keep the old pc running on 98 there isnt a lot of point in paying for xp just for security. Its a fair point that win98 will become more secure in many ways as time goes on as most virus/malware etc is targeting Xp as they think everyone has it so less and less will run on 98.

I would guess the old pc if its 98 would struggle to run Xp anyway
Aterlatus
Grafter

If you do upgrade you'll most likely want to give it extra RAM to play with - on older machines it's often all you need to get XP running at least close to smooth.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Just as a sidenote, XP really needs 256MB of ram as a minimum. It can run on less (I've done it on 112 which was sheer hell) and apparently the bare minimum is 64MB - I'd never want to experience it though. I've found the bare minimum is 256 for a decent system speed and stability.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
graybeard

Thanks for the responses.
As the hard drive in the old m/c was both small and old I stuck in a new 160GB Western Digital. I partitioned that for a small FAT32 area to hold a copy of the old drive running the legacy stuff on Win98, and the rest as NTFS which now runs XP.
So far so good.
BTW I had already upgraded memory to 320MB which seems to be enough for my simple uses.
kenportree
Dabbler

You can run many old programs on XP using the Program Compatibility mode, there is in fact a Program Compatibility Wizard that should indicate whether the prog can be run within XP. If it can you can do away with the FAT partition entirely.
N/A

If you can't run your programs in XP I'd definetely go with Virtual Machine instead of dual boot- it's what it's designed for. Doing it that way allows you to use a single partition, prevents fragmentation of documents between operating systems and, if you get it wrong, you just reload and start again.