cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run out of things to do - Need new ideas - Help!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Hi all

Well, I've got several networked PC's, I've tinkered with Apache/PHP/Perl and got that to run on any drive with variable file paths, I've got laptop on wifi, got software AP to run automatically as service on my ICS host, got wake-on-lan working on 2 machines etc etc etc.

I've run out of cool PC/networking/anything-else-cool ideas to try!

I was thinking about trying to get into long range wifi... until I realised that I know no one else here to share it with! (I'm also planning mini-itx pc for ICS eventually but thats a while away yet).

So, I'm burnt out of ideas. My enthusiasm for using the pc is dropping like a stone. My time on the PC consists of moving the mouse pointer over icons wondering which ones to click for entertainment. I'm bored!

What else can I do now? - I need ideas to keep me going..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
9 REPLIES
N/A

You could try a mesh network see http://www.locustworld.com/

Virtual machines
Windows domain with AD
Mail server
Sharepoint server
Lotus notes domino server
Coldfusion server
My SQL
O/S 2 server

or you could just play games
Community Veteran

Hi pal, thanks for the ideas - comments below!

You could try a mesh network see http://www.locustworld.com/

Virtual machines
Windows domain with AD
Mail server
Sharepoint server
Lotus notes domino server
Coldfusion server
My SQL
O/S 2 server
or you could just play games

Done the VM's
Not into Windows Domains - I find that kinda thing boring.. - I want to be able to logon if the controller crashes Wink
Never found a decent free mail server - thought about writing one though..
Sharepoint?
Lotus Domino?
Coldfusion - No need for it Sad
MySQL - Done - With Apache/PHP - All running on any drive letter as standalone or system services
OS2?

Games... That reminds me, I bought splinter cell cheap at asda (probably cut down version) which I've still not tried - had it for 2 months.. Games don't excite me much these days..

Still looking for something cool!

Yes, I've thought about mesh networking BUT I don't have anyone to share it with OR a permanent address to install antennas Sad

Any other ideas?
Community Veteran

How abut leaving the house and setting up a free internet cafe for your local community using gash pcs running linux ?

(like this )
Community Veteran

Think thats a bit beyond my organisational ability!

I couldn't sell to save my life - yet alone get computers donated for a worthy cause...
glyndev
Grafter

What about working on a PC based home security/control system. Controlling the central heating, lights, appliances etc.
Community Veteran

Funny you should say that because it's something I've been wanting to do for ages. Only snag is my language is delphi and finding any hope of controlling USB devices from delphi seems to be extremely slim!

For some reason all drivers are written in c++ these days..

Plus there's the problem of designing the hardware - I'm no electronics engineer. Though when I can get the cash together (after this nightmare house move) I do want to get some etching equipment and some other parts and start experimenting.

Thats definately on my list of tasks..

Any other suggestions?

Oh heck forgot to say my main system's HD is going belly up and dying... looks like I'll have to replace that soon Sad
glyndev
Grafter

Why concentrate on USB. There is a perfectly good parallel port sat doing nothing on most computers nowadays, and if you look on the web there are plenty of electronic circuit sites that have parallel port interface circuits and tutorials around.

For components and PCB gear have a look at Rapid Electronics http://www.rapidonline.com. They are mail order only but the service is good, and cheaper than Maplin.
Community Veteran

Yeah I thought about that but parallel ports will be a thing of the past soon at the rate that USB is taking over the world.

Plus parallel isn't expandable - IE you can only have a fixed number of devices attached to it (Unless you design a parallel device which in itself has an expansion feature - Not something we're all capable of).

Yeah I'll try out rapid - Mappers are ok, but as you say they're a bit on the steep side..
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

You could get a DVR card and set up a home security system that can be accessed over the web on a spare PC. This will let you play with various things like night vision, motion detection etc. They are cheap enough on a popular auction site and if you check some come with decent software including the web facing part.

You could even host your own version of big brother over the Web !!!

Wink