cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routers and firewalls

Alecto
Grafter

Routers and firewalls

The router only guards against stuff coming in.
So you need a software firewall to check on stuff going out.
4 REPLIES
jabb0
Grafter

Routers and firewalls

Running Ubuntu - linux (I love saying that).

Got meself a router, a netgear wireless one, with a firewall on it.
With a firewall being on the router do i need to put one on my machine?

I downloaded firestarter, but do i need it?
Community Veteran

Routers and firewalls

The linux firewall acts the same way as the router's in that it is designed to block INCOMING connection attempts to it in it's default configuration (on the versions of Linux I have used) but it can be configured to block outgoing connections on certain ports and act as a NAT gateway when using 2 network cards.

Linux is less of a risk than Windows as far as infections/virii are concerned because there are far fewer ways in which to infect it, so the need for additional protection is much less.

I don't have any knowledge of firestarter, but from a brief look at the website it appears to be just a frontend app to the IPtables firewall built into most distro's now. It is not clear if it blocks outgoing connection attempts by application (like many windows firewalls do), and I suspect it does not but it does look like a much simpler way to configure your firewall compared to editing the IPtables config files yourself. So give it a go and see what happens.
jabb0
Grafter

Routers and firewalls

LMAO

Give it a go and see wot happens

=
Give it a go and see if your compo breaks

That i will do.
U mentioned there are less ways to infect the system... does this mean i dont need a whole security suite like i did on windoze

Adaware
    Spybot
    Xoftspy
    AVG
    Sygate

I have clamav and firestarter - do i need more?
Community Veteran

Routers and firewalls

No to the list.

You will need spamassassin which can integrate with clamav.

There are other anti-virus tools available in place of clamav. Just google for anti-virus for linux .