cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router works - ICS won't

N/A

Router works - ICS won't

After much faffing about - my 2 Win2000 computers are now wirelessly networked.

BUT - I still can't get ICS working. I've been to 2 dozen different sites and gone through the setup a million times, but every time I set it to their specs - I lose the network connection.

Our set up is this:
Router(acting as a hub): 192.168.0.254
Host computer: 192.168.0.2
Wireless computer: 192.168.0.1

With the above setup - our network connection is fine for file sharing. But the ICS setup says you should set the wireless computer to 'Get IP address automatically'. As soon as I do this - our ability to access the network is gone and we're still unable to use ICS.

I've been through the troubleshooting guides for ICS I've found online and tried a million different settings - without luck. I've added the ip addresses of the two computers to the Trusted zone on my firewall. Still no go. I've searched the PN forums and found the information below - which applies to Win98. Is there something similar that might work for Win2000? I'm hesitant to attempt it because I assume that it would also involve changing the IP address of my router - which is nearly impossible to do.

Many moons ago mwright wrote:
Set the xp pc to have an ip of 10.0.0.2 subnet 255.255.255.0 set the dns to +nets.

Set the 98 pc's ip to 10.0.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 set the dns to +nets and set the default gateway to 10.0.0.2

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Ilene
6 REPLIES
N/A

Router works - ICS won't

first of i take it the set up is router to PC router to PC not router PC PC thus you do NOT need ICF, you just have to set up ur gateway.

www.buzzons.co.uk/tutorials/network.jpg

that should help you Cheesy

Buz
N/A

Router works - ICS won't

Thanks for your response! Smiley

first of i take it the set up is router to PC router to PC not router PC PC thus you do NOT need ICF, you just have to set up ur gateway.

Our router is wireless - but requires an ethernet modem in order for it to work as a router. We only have a USB modem - but have been assured that the router can be set up to act as a hub (or as I see it - a 'wireless' cable) between the two computers - and through the use of ICS we should be able to share our ADSL connection.

So, I understand where you're coming from - but I don't think that will work in our case. I've looked at the diagram you posted and I can understand how it would work - but it would involve me changing the IP address of the router again - which is darn near impossible without reverting my computer to a registry backup that I did a few weeks ago and starting fresh. (This worked once, the second time it nearly worked and then crashed. But it's certainly not straightforward. Sad )

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Ilene
N/A

Router works - ICS won't

I assume the modem is hanging off the back of a pc?. All you need is both pc's to have they same ip range ie both in the 192 range with the same subnet. The key thing is on the one without the modem you set the default gateway to the ip of the pc with the modem
N/A

Router works - ICS won't

yea, if you change all the ips in the diogram into the class you have 192.168.X.X then it should work :S
N/A

Router works - ICS won't

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

I have no idea why, but for some reason no matter what configuration I used (and believe me, I tried ever suggestion LOL) ICS just would not let me share the internet between the two computers.

I finally took the advice I'd seen posted in a few places (including way back in the PN archives) and downloaded and installed a proxy server. Within a couple of minutes I had internet access on both computers and once I sorted out a typo, I had access for email, MSN, newsgroups and everything else 'net related on the wireless computer.

So thanks again for the configuration advice on ICS - sorry it didn't solve my 'puter's problem. Smiley But thankfully, after everything I've learned in the last 3 weeks about networking, IP's, routers, and ICS - setting up the proxy server was a doddle. Smiley

Ilene
N/A

Router works - ICS won't

ah.. M$ crapola fails again Cheesy