cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router to modem

N/A

Router to modem

:? Hi guys. I am using a router at the moment but want to change to using a modem but i have no clue as to how to go about it. I have tried but when i try to go on the net with the modem i get a message saying the server has not responded error 678. Any help would be appreciated. :?
9 REPLIES
N/A

Router to modem

why would u want to do this.. a router offers far more than a modem

buz
Community Veteran

Router to modem

Can you explain why you want to use a modem now? Are you trying to use a pay&go dialup account or just use your modem instead of your router to access the internet.

You must at least disconnect your router if you are using the same login/password as your router to connect to the net. This is because yoru 56K dialup will be assigned the same static IP as your router and may cause conflicts.

Also what phone number are you dialling?
N/A

Router to modem

I want to change to a modem as i need to know how to open ports on the router and i dont even know where to start.
Community Veteran

Router to modem

Maybe if you explain what exactly you are trying to do or what requires ports to be open and we may be able to help.

What router are you using (make/model etc) Have you read the manual which will explain about any firewall config or how to allow access through for certain ports.

I can't see how using a modem will acheive what you want to do. What do you think the modem will do for you?

Are you trying to run p2p (Kazza etc) through the router or MSN messenger or games which require ports to be opened.
N/A

Router to modem

well settin up NAT can be hard on different routers .. as it can be under "Virtual server" or just NAT or PAT etc etc.. so many diff names.. and so many different way s of doin it

If you get us ur router model im sure one of us here will be able to work out how to do it for u Cheesy

If its a solwise Sar110 though.. bin it Cheesy

Buz
N/A

Router to modem

The model of the router i am using is SAR703. I bought it off a friend who didn't have the manual for it which doesn't help. As for the ports i need to open i tried to set up so that my mates could play Jedi Knight through my computer but they had trouble connecting so i assumed that it was a port that needed opened.
Community Veteran

Router to modem

I'm sure you can find a manual on the Solwise website.

In fact you can download a manual from here.

You could also post your problem on their support forms if the manual does not help.
N/A

Router to modem

games and NAT dont go together, i had to do 200 NAT settings to get AOE to play Smiley

the easiest way is to get a modem user to host the game then u only have to open 2 or 3 ports . which google will tell u

buz
N/A

Router to modem

thanx for all the feedback guys, especially petervaughan(thanx for the link to the solwise site). Hopefully i can figure out how to use the router. Much appreciated Tongue