cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router temperature.

N/A

Router temperature.

Do routers normally get hot? I'm alarmed at the temperature of mine (Addon 4 port) which has a metal case. I assume it has a 12v transformer or something similar inside as it is surprisingly warm to the touch. There is no restriction of air flow where I have it placed.
Also there is only two PC's connected to it at the moment, with a third to follow soon, is it likely to get any warmer with the third connected?
Thanks
9 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Router temperature.

My SAR 130 gets very warm - not too hot to touch, but certainly very warm - so if it's not normal, I suspect there'll be a lot of us going up in flames.

I'd be interested to know why they need to be so hot.

:roll:
Community Veteran

Router temperature.

Most domestic (soho) routers will run hot to the touch, as they have no cooling fans, relying on convection cooling alone. I would only become concerned if it is too hot to hold your hand on for a prolonged period.

As for it getting any warmer when additional PC’s are connected, this will not make any difference.

Chilly
Community Veteran

Router temperature.

Some routers do run hot and it has nothing to do with the number of PCs you have connected.

Try raising it off the desk by placing a couple of books either end so there is better airflow underneath and see if that helps. Also move it away from any other equipment so their temps don't increase the routers temps.

If your really worried, try using asmall desk fan to blow air over it - or ig you are technically minded use a 80CM case fan and hook it up to a 12V power supply - I have an old PC 200W PSU I use if i need to cool any equipment down.
N/A

Router temperature.

Whilst the number of PC's connected should not affect the temperature, they can. All electrical resistance converts to heat, however, that heat should be minimal, and of no concern.

What can and does affect it is the applciations you may run. P2P applications can make you router run hot, because instead of one fast connection, which routers handle with ease, they use hundreds of small ones. The high processing and memory switching used by these connections converts to heat as well.
N/A

Router temperature.

I used to work in the electronics industry and I wouldn't worry to much. Your router will have heat sinks etc. designed to cope with what ever your likely to throw at your router,

My DG814 used to get prettty hot, but my DG834 does not.

Unless you can smell something due to excessive heat , I wouldn't worry. Beside if something draws that much current to overheat, the internal fuse or circuits would probably fail well before it was a problem.
N/A

Router temperature.

Thanks guys, what I meant to say in the original post , but ended up saying the opposite was, as it has an external AC converter why it is so hot to the touch. Even though you guys have reassured me it is the norm for them to run hot, I can't help feeling there is enough heat and expansion of the metal parts to easily break a connection when turned off or on.
Time will tell.
Cheers
N/A

Router temperature.

The AC convertor also will have been designed with heat disapation in mind, yes they can get very hot, but they normally have internal fuses, as well as a normal mains fuse.

The one for my DG384 doesn't contain an accessable mains fuse, but it will be fused and it indicates on the front it will trip out at 130 degress C .
I have all my computer stuff connected to a surge protector, which then has a trip switch/circuit breaker plug.

Either way, so long as some air can flow around, it should be fine.
N/A

Router temperature.

I have a thermometer on the top surface of my Belkin. Highest temperature I've seen was 45C - but I now leave a desktop fan running next to it and it stays around 28 - 30C.
N/A

Router temperature.

45c is not too bad for a router, besides they would have tested how hot it gets etc.

If there was a real problem, it would probably fuse the circuits long before anything serious happened and you'd smell it. Burning electronics produces a rememberable smell. You'd noticed it.