Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router plus Modem Question (easy)

N/A

Hi

A basic question if I may
I am using a Mac with ethernet connection and I have ordered a router+modem.If I wish to use the router and modem together do I set up the modem first then put the router in line,or just connect everything together and set it up that way.

IanJ
6 REPLIES
N/A

Can I ask what router and modem you have purchased?

If you have purchased it through PlusNet, it is a combined unit. This means, from a single set of configuration screen, you can configure the two.

Because it is a single unit, there is no need to worry about getting the modem and router to talk.
N/A

Can I ask what router and modem you have purchased?

I have ordered a D-Link DI-614+router and a D-Link DSL-300T modem

IanJ
Community Veteran

It would have been much easier (and possibly cheaper) to purchase an all in one router that has an ADSL modem, 4 port hub, wireless and router in one box. The Netgear DG834G is one such device but there are many others e.g. Linksys WAG54G etc.

Was there a reason why you purchased a separate modem? Or did you not know combined devices existed?

To answer your original Q. Just connect the modem to the phone socket and the modem to the router's WAN port. Then connect your mac to the router. How you setup each device I have no idea, just read the manuals. The modem will need to have the PlusNet login/password entered and the router configured how you want it to work.
N/A

Was there a reason why you purchased a separate modem? Or did you not know combined devices existed?

Oh I know they exist,I am using one now (Solwise SAR130)supplied by Plusnet :-),and if some "Mac" user came in and said I bought such and such combined unit and "iChat" worked with "AOL IM" straight out of the box then I would get that one.

But the Apple website lists items that are compatable with "iChat" straight out of the box,and failing that the D-Link website gives clear and consise instructions for forwarding the required ports,but in both instances the items mentioned are just routers and need ethernet modems,

Try as I might I cannot get "iChat" to work with AOL IM via the SAR130 that plusnet supplied,I understand it is to do with how it handles "SIP",I have opened as many ports as I can find on the 'net and still no good.

So I decided that for the sake of my sanity if seperate bits were needed then that is what I would get,and I agree it is not the least expensive option but the DI-614+ is also equiped for wireless which is going to come in handy for the wifes laptop,who quite likes the idea of being able to web browse,and send and recieve e-mails whilst tucked up in bed :-)

So there you have it Peter in a nutshell,the search for what I hope is easier life,an upgrade of kit and the ability to: if I have problems with lChat+AOL IM I can take the router out of the equation and just use the modem,and the wireless ability for the wife.

Thanks for the reply,your thoughts are appreciated

IanJ
N/A

Basically connect the modem to the routers WAN
port and your pc to the router.
Bring up the routers set up page by typing
192.168.0.1 in your browser and ensure your
pc is obtaining an IP address from the router via DHCP.
Then bring up the modems set up page
192.168.1.1 and set up your modem ISP details, etc.
Then you should get web access.
Have a look at the modems set up manual
pages 6 - 11 in particular for more details.
ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dsl_routers_modems/
Alec
N/A

All understood thanks aleca

IanJ