cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ripping CDs

penguinni
Grafter

Ripping CDs

I just got an iPod and would appreciate any recommended CD rippers, preferably the free type! Cheesy

Thanks
22 REPLIES
N/A

Ripping CDs

If you are talking about music CD's you should be aware that ripping commercial CD's is against copyright law without the authors permission even if you own the original.

I know it is not the answer you were looking for, but many people are not aware of this fact.

Darren.
penguinni
Grafter

Ripping CDs

I was under the impression that it was permissable to make a single copy for personal use. I can copy my CDs onto my PC so why is it forbidden to copy onto an MP3 player? :?

I
chino
Grafter

Ripping CDs

According to the software copyright act (i think it's 18b off the top of my head) you are able to make a back up copy for your own personal use, though i don't know if this applies to music CD's.....

Mark
penguinni
Grafter

Ripping CDs

I believe even Windows XP allows CD ripping. I understand the piracy issue with MP3 but I just wish to copy the bulk of my CDs and MiniDiscs to the iPod.
N/A

Ripping CDs

i believe you are allowed to rip your own CDs to MP3s but you would have to delete the mp3s if you ever gave the cds away etc.
N/A

Ripping CDs

According to a court test against Rio (the first of the big brand players), you can rip musuic for these player, so log as it could not be re-downloaded to the PC.

IE, PC->MP3 player, but not MP3 player->PC
N/A

Ripping CDs

OK,

It's very simple, Data and Software CD's do permit the production of a single copy for backup purposes.

Music CD's do not, you are in breach of the copyright protection act if you do not gain the authors permission. Even if you have a broadcast licence and are paying PPS royalties you can still not make copies of even a single track without the authors permission. Crazy I know, but that is law as it stands today.

Darren.
Brickinit
Grafter

Ripping CDs

I just got an iPod and would appreciate any recommended CD rippers, preferably the free type!

if i were you i think i would go to a search engine and see what you can find with a search for "cd ripper", as it dosn't look like you are going to get any joy wilst everyone is going through the ins and outs of the legal side.

malc
penguinni
Grafter

Ripping CDs

Hmmmmm. The iPod comes with Musicmaster Jukebox which, I could if I wanted to but I wont because its not right, use to rip CDs. But only CDs made by my mates band and they all said its ok - even Bob the drummer whos a bit weird anyway.

Thanks to all for your advice

Wink
N/A

CD Ripper Recommendation

I've been using CDex for ages now, and it's a cracker.

http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/

Free, and uses CDDB to identify all your tracks /artists etc. Nice and fast too.

Regards,
Adama
N/A

Ripping CDs

i've also been using cdex. have u noticed any problems using cddb recently?
N/A

Ripping CDs

Every now and then, the cddb server doesn't connect, so I just go into the options and choose another server and it works just fine. Why? What problems are you having?
N/A

Ripping CDs

Try FreeRip from http://www.mgshareware.com/

Works for me.
As for copyright, I have an MP3 CD changer in my car. Reading some of the earlier posts it looks like it might be legally impossbile for me to use this? :shock:
N/A

Ripping CDs

As for copyright, I have an MP3 CD changer in my car. Reading some of the earlier posts it looks like it might be legally impossbile for me to use this? :shock:

There are plenty of MP3's on the internet which aren't copyright and are "public domain" as to say. It would be perfectly legal for you to play these on car mp3/cd players.

I found this interesting link that clarifies the legal position:

http://www.safetyed.org/help/alert/copying.html

From which I quote:

RULE 2: You can transfer any of your legally owned media onto a different media, so that now you own two different formats of it (this is called "space shifting"), e.g., if you own a CD you can legally make an MP3 version of it; or if you legally own an MP3 you can burn it onto a CD; or you can transfer your legally owned floppy disks onto a CD, etc. As long as you own an original copy you are allowed to possess it in several different media formats. EXCEPT DVDs. If you make a copy of a DVD in any other format, you will be breaking the law.