Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverse of "safely remove (USB) hardware"

N/A

Hi,
background:
I'm using XPhome Sp2.
I have a Compact Flash card-reader attached to a USB2 port.

My thinking is that it is not safe to insert/remove a card in the reader, while the card-reader is "live". So I power-down the computer, or "Stop" the reader using the "Safely Remove Hardware" pop-up.

So, lets say the reader is in "Stop" mode, and I insert a card, is there any way of taking the Reader out of "Stop" mode without powering down/restarting the computer?

Unplugging the cardreader is not really an option (it also acts as a USB Hub for other devices - external hard-drive, ADSL modem, external DVD writer - . But I suppose I could move them to the mother-board's USB ports if it would help.

Ray.
5 REPLIES
Denzil
Grafter

To the best of my knowledge you shouldn't need to be 'stopped' - it is quite safe to plug in and unplug cards from the reader whilst it is connected and active. Every card reader I have used (and I have used a few Cool has worked fine.
holdtight
Grafter

Yes agreed ive used a few USB card readers and it is perfectly safe to insert and remove a card without stopping the reader first
N/A

- it is quite safe to plug in and unplug cards from the reader whilst it is connected and active. .

OK, I will try that for myself - hopefully more than once.

Ray
zebo-the-fat
Grafter

The reason for the "safely remove hardware" option is when you write a file to a usb device, the pc shows the file as having been copied, but it may be sitting in the computers cache NOT on the usb card. if you just remove the card it may not have the file on it. Using the "safe removal" option forces the cache to write to the card.
N/A

The other option is to right click on the drive in explorer and select 'eject' - it unmounts the card but leaves the reader open so you can just take the card out and reinsert it to get the card back..