Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore points in Windows XP

shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Can any XP expert help me with Restore Points ?

I have just discovered that all my old Restore Points have been deleted from my system. Looking in the Help menu, it appears that when Restore Points take up more than 12% of the disk space, all previous Restore Points are deleted automatically, a new one is created and it all starts over again !!

That seems to me to defeat the object. I now cannot evidently return to an earlier Restore Point any more, and least of all to the initial set-up. As it happens, it is probably not a problem because I have a complete system back-up which I could presumably restore and the old Restore Points would be available again (Huh)

However, how can I stop old Restore Points being deleted ? Disk space is not a problem as I have two very large hard disks, and the C:drive only has Windows on it - everything else is kept separate on the D:drive. So is it possible to increase the Restore Point capacity beyond 12% ?

Better still, do these Restore Points have a file name (like the old System.dat and User.dat in Windows 9Cool which I could quite separately back up in future to give me the security of knowing that I can always restore my system to a certain date, irrespective of space constraints ?

I am really surprised that no warning is given that old restore points are to be deleted because it seems to defeat the whole object. At least the first Restore Point should be kept !

I suppose that I could turn off Automatic Restore Points and rely just on creating my own, in order to conserve use of the 12%, but there would still eventually come a time when even that used up the space.

Any advice or recommendations gratefully received.
39 REPLIES
Njal
Grafter

shermans
Rising Star

Neil

Thanks, but unfortunately it does not answer the question. I have used "The Elder Geek" before and usually find him very helpful. But on this occasion, it appears that he is wrong. He says the default setting is 12% of disk space but, while that may be true, 12% is also the maximum - it cannot be increased beyond that through system>system restore. Maybe there is some other method of increasing it ?
Njal
Grafter

It means alterations to the registry:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295659/

Regards,

Neil
shermans
Rising Star

Thanks for that. It is a great help. I will increase the default space using the registry.

But am I correct that when the default 12% is exhausted, all the previous restore points are automatically deleted to make room for new ones ? It seems to me a little drastic.
holdtight
Grafter

Yes previous restore points are always deleted automaticaly by the system to make room for more

Personally i dont like the way XP handles this and a kept restore point from a clean install would be ideal also i find system restore is quite poor and does not always fix a problem

The solution i use instead of relying on SS is Acronis trueimage and i take an image when i clean install then burn it to disk and put it away safe then make further weekly images saved to a seperate hard drive and / or DVD which is ideal as acronis will start your system from rescue floppies or flash drive and detect any media to restore an image from amongst the many other features it has

I believe norton ghost does the same but ive not used it, there are some free imaging software solutions about but i would highly recommend acronis
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Another good point with Acronis
You can create a boot CD which will actually allow you to burn or restore an image without going into windows
I found this very useful as I don't trust any programme to burn a clean image when all my security software is running
Community Veteran

Sounds a useful program.
What sort of price does it come at? or is there a freeby anywhere Smiley
Alecto
Grafter

is there a freeby anywhere Smiley

Shurely John you're not referring to Warez are youHuh? :lol:
What a fine example for a moderator to set.
:lol:
Community Veteran

No I meant a real freeby (trial version etc) not an ilegal hacked copy :?
holdtight
Grafter

I find the burning of a boot CD function also very useful Jim amongst the many other very good features of acronis

John there is a freebie not warez Geoff Wink which is called HDClone
Its features are nowhere near that of acronis though which can be found Here for 49 US Dollars (£25 - £26) and there is a downloadable 30 day trial, i bought and downloaded my copy as i was offered a promotional few quid off as i was a registered user of the free version 8 when it was around for about £19 iirc
Community Veteran

Thanks for that info I will give it a try.
I used to use Norton Ghost to good effect but it runs from a floppy that it creates from the CD and many computers dont have floppies any more.
So There no way I can make an image of my laptop with it.
vic_newey
Grafter

Can anyone tell me why I cannot get system restore to appear since I reinstalled windows XP ? when I go into system tools & click system restore it doesn't appear. I have it enabled in system properties .
holdtight
Grafter

Unsure but it may be worth a look in control panel - admin tools - services just to be sure the System Restore Service is enabled and set to automatic
system restore also needs task scheduler to be enabled and on auto too to function properly

Its unlikely i know as these are usually on auto by default after a clean install but you know xp so worth a look
vic_newey
Grafter

Everything is properly enabled but sys restore won't appear,

I wish Norton 'goback' would work with XP sp2 as it was much better