cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote access

N/A

Remote access

Hi,

Looking for some advice here, can someone help me to set up remote access on my home network, I would like to be able to access it from work.

Not sure how to go about it I have a Netgear DG834 router and XP pro.

Cheers

Donald
12 REPLIES
rhosybol
Grafter

Remote access

Well there is Real VNC or PC Anywhere, these should help.
Cloudmaster
Grafter

Remote access

Do you want access to a number of machines on your network or just one? If it's the latter you can use the 'Remote Desktop Connection' facility of XP for this. You'll need to forward port 3389 TCP from the router to the IP of your XP box & at the office as long as you're running Windows 2000 or greater you should be able to connect to your XP box from there but.........

Your office may have a firewall in place preventing this

If it does work password protect your XP box & if you can, only allow connections to this port from your office IP (if it's static)
N/A

Remote Access

Cheers guys I will have a go at that, I only want to access the one machine.

Donald Cheesy
N/A

Remote access

Hi again

I have forwarded port 3389 TCP from the router to the IP of the XP box but when I try to connect from work it just comes back and tells me it couldnt contact the remote PC.

Is this caused by the firewall at my work, if it is is there another solution to this as I wont be able to get anything changed at my work end.

Cheers

Donald
Cloudmaster
Grafter

Remote access

On your XP box, go to control panel >> System (assuming classic view here) >> Remote tab

The 2nd check box should be checked, it's all fairly self-explanatory
N/A

Remote access

Cheers ,

Just done that and will check it out tomorrow from work. Smiley

Donald
N/A

Remote access

u need to forward UDP 3389 as well
Cloudmaster
Grafter

Remote access

u need to forward UDP 3389 as well

Not according to Microsoft
N/A

Remote access

radmin is the best program ive found, it beats vnc hands down, it uses little resources and is stable, unlike vnc

linky : http://www.radmin.com/

hope this helps
N/A

Remote access

If you are trying to connect using a win2k client it wont work you need to download the xp version from MS
N/A

Remote access

ma bad, im sure i read somewhere you need 3389 UDP done as well *shrug* but you are right that on the MS site it says nothing about it.

soz

buzz
N/A

Remote access

pc anywhere is thw way to go with encripton as i use this my self and help friend sort their computers out as well