cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote access to machine

N/A

Remote access to machine

Right, come September I will be moving out of the family home and in with friends who live closer to my new college. Whilst living with them, I will have access to their internet connection (2Mb ADSL connection), and I will be using my centrino laptop running xp/SuSe to access this connection.

I will be maintaining my Plus.Net ADSL connection at home, and will be leaving 2 servers running constantly whilst I am away (1 email server). The other machine I want to have running either Win XP or a userfriendly linux distro, connected to the internet connection and I want to be able to access this machine remotely from my lodgings, Basically, I would like to be able to store files on this machine which can be accessed from my laptop (at lodgings) and also be able to make use of the Plus.Net internet connection to download large files (such as new linux ISO's as they become available) and store them at home to save bandwidth on my friends connection.

Ideally I would like to be able to remotely gain control of the machine at home (full control, inc. access to desktop - as if I were physically using it). Can this be done easily and if so how?

I have a rough idea that it can be easily done, however I would like to know the best methods of doing so with the minimum of outlay Cheesy

Thanks in advance! Cheesy
13 REPLIES
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Remote access to machine

Best choice for this would be VNC (Virtual Network Computing (or Client, depending on which techie you ask :lolSmiley)

http://www.tightvnc.com/
http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
http://www.tridiavnc.com/

/edit

Forgot to add, you could also use the built in "Remote Desktop" service that comes with XP - if you trust Windows to be secure enough against possible attack (tis one of the first things I actually disable)
N/A

Remote access to machine

Thanks for that Smiley

Tight VNC looks very promising, I have to say Cheesy

FYI: Tridia VNC is no longer available.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Remote access to machine

EEEEK!.... I'd not noticed they weren't providing it anymore Sad ... sorry bout that. Shockedops:
N/A

Remote access to machine

No worries mate Smiley

I've just downloaded the tightVNC client and server packages, so I can start playing with it now and get myself entirely comfortable with it all before I need to put it into action.
N/A

Remote access to machine

If you are using any of the VNC derived programs I would look into running it inside a ssh tunnel. This will provide you with a secure encrypted link and can provide additional authentication.
N/A

Remote access to machine

Try www.logmein.com

You can access from any web browser with 128bit encryption. Works great for me and I can help the folks at home when they get stuck with computer problems!
N/A

Remote access to machine

Real VNC Enterprise I use for the server, I Tried Tight VNC but quite often the VNC connection would fail forcing me to either attach a monitor to the server PC or reboot the server using its reset switch.
Not the case with Real VNC, stays online for as long as the PC is online.
N/A

Remote access to machine

Thanks everyone Cheesy

I've spent the last couple of days "playing" with TightVNC - firstly across two different subnets on my local network and then across two different locations using the internet, and have not experienced any reliability issues yet.

Will spend a bit longer working with it, experimenting with running the connection through tunnels etc. but assuming all goes according to plan, I will be implementing it was a permenant solution come July, ready for moving away Smiley

Cheers Cheesy Cheesy
Craigiusmaximus
Grafter

Remote access to machine

Try www.logmein.com

You can access from any web browser with 128bit encryption. Works great for me and I can help the folks at home when they get stuck with computer problems!

i use this all the time its really good... Cool
N/A

Remote access to machine

Ditto on Logmein, I use it quite alot, is also very good over GPRS from a PDA phone - an excellent free util.
pacem
Grafter

Remote access to machine

SuSE linux comes with FreeNX from NoMachines. It is a very fast network efficient remote desktop program (fast enough to be useable over dialup!). Clients are available for windows and linux so there should be no problem using your machine from anywhere.

Incidentally why don't you just ssh to your home machines and do everything from the command line. :-) If all you wan't to do is administer a system and copy files ssh is your friend, and if you perfer the graphical side of thinks Konqueror will present files shared over a ssh connection as if their local. </linux fanboy old-timer>

Paul.<><
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Remote access to machine

Try RealVNC. This is a sister product to TightVNC. Works very well and saves me a 100 mile round trip to sort out my mother's PC!!!

http://www.realvnc.com/index.html
Community Veteran

Remote access to machine

I have recently moved my alliance to Ultr@VNC, because of the “Single Click” version. This allows you to set up connections to support other people very easily without any changes to their routers, and no need for them to have a static IP address, or find their IP address every time you want to help them.

It also has a file transfer facility build in.

For more details see; http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

Chilly