Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Printer setup via WiFi

jeffkey
Grafter

Hi All,

I have had a quick look and not found a stright forward answer to my question, so here goes.

I need to move my printer from the top of the filing cabinete to a lower table so my daughter can reach it without climbing on the desk. It will be a long way from the main PC.

It is currently connect via USB to my main PC.

I have a Netgear DG834G Modem/Router/Wireless box connected to the main pc via the router and Lan cable.

(I use the wireless part to connect to a laptop.)

Now the question?

Can I setup the printer using a wireless connection without getting a print server. I just want to avoid a very long USB cable run.

I need somethig that has a wireless connection with a USB port. Nothing else.

Thanks

Jeff.
11 REPLIES
jeffkey
Grafter

There are lots of "Bridges" around but they all appear to be used to connect a PC to a wireless network.
N/A

can u not move ur PC a bit? and that way allow the cable to be shorter?

also why not just put the printer on the flaw next to the computer (move it onto the flaw?)
jeffkey
Grafter

Hi,

Not really an option to move the PC, its up on a desk to keep little fingers away from the back.

It was only that a 5M USB extension cable is about £20. So I was thinking of spending a little more and be "wireless"

Jeff.
N/A

Hi,

I've got a USB Port, which isn't the small type, its the square type which I do not know its name to plug into, I got a cable along with my Router, and it fits in, then its the rear end of the USB Port I don't know where to Plug it into

After snapping like everything together, plugging in all the cables and configuring it, It seemed to work without it - im not really a Router man but may that be a USB Printer port on the router, or would it just be for upgrading the firmwire?

Maybe you need a router like mine, if its for a USB Printer! Smiley Its a Conexant 4-Port ADSL Router and I bought it from www.dabs.com for £50.00 - its very good and all I Need it for Smiley
N/A

Community Veteran

madhoosie, first your problem does not seem to be related to the subject of this thread (wireless printers) so it would have been better to create your own thread so things don't get confused. A mod may split this off if they are in agreement.

I've got a USB Port, which isn't the small type, its the square type which I do not know its name to plug into, I got a cable along with my Router, and it fits in, then its the rear end of the USB Port I don't know where to Plug it into

First that is not a USB port but an Ethernet network port and you can't use it to connect a USB printer to. The small cable that came with the unit is for connecting the ADSL 4 port modem/router to an ethernet port on your PC.

After snapping like everything together, plugging in all the cables and configuring it, It seemed to work without it - im not really a Router man but may that be a USB Printer port on the router, or would it just be for upgrading the firmwire?

Without knowing the make & modem of the ADSL modem/router you actually have this is difficult to say. Does the spec of the device say it has a USB printer port on it. If it does not then you can't connect a printer to it (like most other modem/routers). Do you have a direct link on dabs to the product you ordered so we can see what it is if you don't know.

Maybe you need a router like mine, if its for a USB Printer! Smiley Its a Conexant 4-Port ADSL Router and I bought it from www.dabs.com for £50.00 - its very good and all I Need it for Smiley

As above we need exact details as your description is too generic and could apply to the majority of ADSL modem routers being sold.
N/A

Im sorry, I really am Cry

I thought that a USB Printer could have been connected to it and thought I was helping the guy - My area is not particularly in Routers - and thought I was helping the thread, but obviously I wasen't was I.

I was in need of no help (Thanks for the help anyway Wink)
Community Veteran

I sounded like you were trying to connect a USB printer to your router and having problems, hence my reply. If not then I misunderstood your reply. Sorry.
N/A

No problem, Im new here and don't understand much, I will know in future Smiley
jeffkey
Grafter

thanks for the replies so far.

Buzzons....

Thanks for the links, nice kit. Will look for a local distributer and price.

Jeff
jeffkey
Grafter

Looked a bit closer at the products and their Bluetooth based.

Not bad for £38 ish.

Unfortunately my HP printer is not listed. Sad