cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Control

N/A

Remote Control

Hi

At home on my Plus Net connection I have a desktop PC sitting behind a router. What would be the best way of being able to remote control this? At work I have a laptop and an ADSL line, so it would be great if there was a secure way that I could get access to it from work.

The 2nd part of my plan is to have the PC at home as the answerphone, fax and then get it controlling CCTV, etc. Some of this could be achieved by setting it as a webserver, but ideally I want to be able to see & control the desktop from wherever I am.

The home PC is running Windows 2000 Professional.

Any help would be great Cheesy

Thanks

Steve
10 REPLIES
N/A

Remote Control

Remote Desktop works just fine for me. Cheesy You would have to tell your router to send data on Port 3389 (I think) to your computer.
N/A

Remote Control

Thanks for the reply. Is that already part of 2k Pro?

Thanks
N/A

Remote Control

no, you have to download the Terminal Server addin // or install the "roll"

you can use WinVNC or RADMIN as well which are free and will work if Remote desktop does not
N/A

Remote Control

no, you have to download the Terminal Server addin // or install the "roll"

you can use WinVNC or RADMIN as well which are free and will work if Remote desktop does not

...but be aware that VNC is MASSIVELY insecure. Not saying don't use it, just be aware and do some reading before implementing it.

RDP will work fine if you install the relevant stuffs though.
N/A

Remote Control

you can put VNC through an SSH tunnel Wink that makes it nice and secure D:
N/A

Remote Control

You're right - VNC over SSH can be a great solution. Only problem is getting most of these things through the proxies at most workplaces - any sysadmin worth their salt will have everything well locked down...
MarkAngel
Grafter

Remote Control

Hi Smilee,

If you dont mind a bit of extra cost I'd recomment upgrading to XP pro this has it built in any you have to do very little to get it working.
Once you have mastered that you can go one step further if you wish and set up Microsoftys Web interface, this way you can remote the PC from anything that has a web browser (PDA's Etc, how bizzaire is that). (its a small install from Microsofts website)

Thats how I have mine set up, and I use it to access my PC when I am at work...very handy.

M
N/A

Remote Control

Where abouts is the download?
MarkAngel
Grafter

Remote Control

N/A

Remote Control

Many thanks for all your advice.

I may consider an upgrade to XP then - should be straight-forward enough (Famous last words!)

It's a shame you can install proper Terminal Services on 2k Pro...