cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Access

N/A

Remote Access

I want to access my computer in home b from home a so I can access a program (motorola homesight) to keep an eye on the house via cameras.

How can I do this ?
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Remote Access

What OS and version are you running on both?

Do they both have PlusNet broadband connections or do they have different ones?

What package are you on?

If you are running XP on both, look at remote desktop application.
N/A

Remote Access

Its certainly possible if the pc you are connecting to has a router you would have to forward the port for remote desktop for it to work and set any firewall to accept it.
N/A

Remote Access

What OS and version are you running on both?

B: XP
A: Vista Hom Premium

Do they both have PlusNet broadband connections or do they have different ones?

Both Plusnet

What package are you on?

B: `BYW Option 1`
A: `BYW Option 2`
Community Veteran

Remote Access

Look on the on-line help for Remote Desktop or googlr for setup info.

However, BBYW option 1 currently blocks RDP, VPN and SSH traffic but PN are currently deciding if they should be allowed but speed limited. I don't know when this will be changed.

Also look at VNC (I have used tightvnc) which may do what you want and is easy to setup.

You will need to do some port forwarding in your router to allow the necessary ports through.
The_10th
Grafter

Remote Access

Don't mean to HJ this post but looking to VPN from a client to netgear DG834 and then VNC to clients connected. I thought the netgear allowed it to work as server albeit a low powered one but do I have to install some sort of VPN server on the PCs I wish to VNC to after VPN is setup?

I believe this is the most secure and low bandwidth way to monitor this way or is there another?

TIA Cheesy
N/A

Remote Access

Hey, HJ away, I'm clueless so the more info I read the better.

As for BBYW 1 restrictions, I'll just change to BBYW 2.

Smiley
Community Veteran

Remote Access

@galacticempire
If you have a VPN-capable router at both ends then setting up a LAN-LAN VPN is probably the most secure way of doing it (but don't ask me for advice on how to do it!)

Alternatively set up a VNC connection using SSH (I had a thread going about this here and although it references Linux, it is quite applicable to your situation; but I've parked it for a while, so can't offer practical help with that either)

I googled the motorola homesight stuff, and it seems to imply that remote access is limited to a paid service from the vendor (but I can't see how, so it's got to be worth experimenting with different approaches)

paul
(hmmm rereading that i'm not sure exactly how helpful i've been ... oh well)
N/A

Remote Access

Thanks and you were helpful.

LAN2LAN VPN is the way to go I think.

Smiley
espresso_mick
Grafter

Remote Access

You could use LogMeIn available here...

https://secure.logmein.com/go.asp?page=home

I use it for remote assistance to family and friends. I use the free version, which is perfectly adequate for my needs.
You should have no problem accessing your security program and running it full screen on the remote computer.