cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Access

N/A

Remote Access

Hi,

I am trying to remote access on to my home machine from work however all I get is a error message. I have a premium account with plusnet so have a static IP address. Can so one help with this?

Thanks
13 REPLIES
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Remote Access

Do you have a firewall installed that could possibly be preventing access?
N/A

Remote Access

Hi,

I dont have a fire wall activated, I'm not sure how I should be setting this up. do I need to open a port on the router?
shellsong
Grafter

Remote Access

If you're using XP it's very difficult not to have a firewall activated because it sometimes does it when you don't want it to!
N/A

Remote Access

You need to open port 3389 on the router. Full details

Link
N/A

A safer way

opening that port has a security implication.

I would suggest you sign up to a service like mywebexpc as that allowa secure connection through aweb browser and does not require extra ports to be open

It will also work through firewalls.
Community Veteran

Remote Access

also you need to make sure that your home computer is set up to allow remote access:

right click my computer and press properties
Press the remote tab
make sure that the Alow users to connect remotely to this computer check box is ticked
N/A

Remote Access

I use www.logmein.com

It's pretty secure and you access it via a web browser. It's free as well.

Just involves loading a small program onto the PC you want to access.
N/A

Remote Access

An alternative approach to using a third party to secure your connection would be to look into running VNC and using SSH to secure the link...
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Remote Access

Try this...free and works a treat. It saves a 100 mile round trip to sort out my mothers PC !!!

With a router you will need to open a port to allow VNV to connect but mine works perfectly

http://www.realvnc.com/
N/A

VNC

Be careful as VNC can be hacked. Make sure if you are going to run it to lock down the ip addresses so only the PC you want to be able to connect can do so.

Also Make sure you have all of the latest patches installed

I would still recommend you use another solution such as logmein or mywebexpc as they are far more secure

Mike Rowe MCSE
N/A

Remote Access

Mike, trouble with that it means trusting your connection to a third party... I'd rather set my own secure link up and maintain that... I use VNC, SSH and restrict it to only a certain set of ip addresses then only allow those addresses to connect via the firewall as well - so that in IMHO is just as secure.

SSH gives my session traffic the protection I need, the firewall + ssh options only allow my known addresses to connect (my work PC and one or two others), using vnc means I only need one client to connect to both my *nix boxes and my windows box.

I think most solutions can be made secure providing you invest in the time and effort to make them secure and the knowledge you'll learn by setting your own secure link is well worth it.
N/A

I don't disagree

I did state that it should be restricted to IP addresses in my post if you use VNC. Indeed you could make it very secure by using IPsec and a VPN to the PC

VNC has some inherent security issues as it has been hacked before over the years. The third party solutions are secure ssl links via a login to a web based secure system.

Both solutions have their merits but I prefer the third party option as it gives access anywhere as long as you have Http access and offers a ssl link that is certificate based and thus very secure.

I do setup secure links as part of my job and was only offering an opinion based on what I have found over the years.

This link is to a page with advice on securing VNC

http://www.niscc.gov.uk/niscc/docs/re-20030630-00724.pdf?lang=en
N/A

Remote Access

Wonder if it would be worth one of the mod's creating a sticky thread which we can add useful links like the one above etc to... sort of a useful bookmarks links.