cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations for Network Storage ?

Community Veteran

I want to add some network storage to my LAN, which consists only of laptops. USB external drives are cheap and plentiful but feel a bit limited, as the lappys get moved around or are not "always on".

As far as I can see the options are to get either a dedicated unit with HDD (Buffalo LinkStation, Freecom SL, etc), or an Ethernetted enclosure (Netgear SC101, etc) to which you add one or more standard internal HDDs.

Cash, as ever, is at a premium, although 400GB of NAS storage for £125 seems a bit of a bargain to me (Freecom SL)

Anyone had any experience they'd like to share, or any recommendations?

paul
7 REPLIES
N/A

The best bet is to get free Nas from http://www.freenas.org/index.php

as the name suggests its free. All you want then is any old pc it doesnt need to be fantastic and you can pick good ones up at car boots for £25. Get a hard drive install the free nas and your up and running cheap. Its very good and once installed you dont need a keyboard or screen on the pc and you can have 4 hard drives.
Community Veteran

that could be a good interim solution while i save pennies. Funnily enough I tested freenas quite extensively just before xmas,and while it was pretty cool, i thought it still a bit flaky; it certainly repays attention though and the developers are very responsive to problems (they don't seem to sleep in fact :shock: )
it'd probably be quite a nice solution as i've a mixture of xp and linux and freenas supports samba natively
dgp
Grafter

I also need some network storage, but the reviews on the Freecom on Amazon aren't as good as those for the Linkstation which has won a number of awards. The bit I don't understand is the difference between the Linkstation Live and the Linkstation Pro.

Regards
Community Veteran

The bit I don't understand is the difference between the Linkstation Live and the Linkstation Pro.
http://www.buffalotech.com/comparison-charts/network-storage/linkstation/

One thing I've learned is that many of these NAS storage devices use proprietary protocols which require a special client on the Windoze machine and aren't supported at all under Linux.
Which, on a mixed network, makes it a better bet to either add a USB device to a node and make it a shared drive (using either XP or Vista or Linux), or to create a FreeNAS server on the network.
dgp
Grafter

Hi - Thanks. I don't need the print server as I already have one. Its really whether the DLNA server is more use to me than the Active Directory Support. And the explanations don't make a lot of sense to me. I probably don't need either now, but I'm not sure. I guess DLNA is more likely to be useful going forward, but I don't know.
madswitcher
Grafter

Hi Paul

I have used a couple of Netgear SC101 and have been impressed by them. Quite reliable, fast and almost silent, but they used a proprietary disc format. I have two with 2x 300G discs in each.

Cheers

Mike
Community Veteran